port triggering with the Linksys BEFW11s4 Vers. 2

I have a Linksys Router BEFW11s4 Version 2, a Windows Server 2003 and

3 Windows XP Pro Workstations. I use Cable for my internet.

I recently installed an application that uses port 80. I believe I need to set up port triggering to open port 80 for this application and after may tries, I have not had success doing so.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
tamaragrunenwald
Loading thread data ...

Is this application serving port 80? Is it connecting to another server on port 80, or is it expecting a client to connect to it on port 80? Does it make some connection, and then offer to serve port 80?

If you want some client on the internet to connect to your machine behind a NAT firewall on port 80, you might want port forwarding, not port trigger.

formatting link
looks like a decent explanation.

Port 80 is a very popular port. If you set port forwarding to accept an incoming port 80 request and forward it to a mcahine on your network, it will receive a lot of malicious traffic, as software probes will try to discover known weaknesses in a variety of servers that are expected to listen on port 80.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.