OT network printer turns on every few minutes

Mostly OT but does have some wireless content. Where should I post if not here?

Went from this: DSL Bellsouth |--Westell 2100 modem(bridged mode) |--Linksys WRT54G V4(DHCP and router function) |--IntelNetportExpress Print Server(ethernet wired) |--Brother HL1440 Printer(parallel cable) |--Wired PC

to this: DSL Bellsouth |--Netopia 2241N-006 modem (DHCP and router mode) |--Linksys 5-port Switch |--IntelNetportExpress Print Server(ethernet wired) |--Brother HL1440 Printer(parallel cable) |--Linksys WRT54G V4(DHCP off - access point only) |--Wired PC

Under the first setup everything works fine. The printer prints when it should and otherwise sits in a sleepy idle state consuming a few watts at most. I could leave it on 24/7.

Under the second setup printing also works, but the printer wakes up every few minutes (10, 15, 20???) and goes into the print ready state; consuming power turning on its heater, readying the paper tray, rollers, etc.

Anyone experience this problem before and know how to turn it off? I suspect it is the Netopia sending out a broadcast message, but I don't know enough to know the technical terms to do a Google search for help turning it off. The WRT54G evidently did not do this (whatever "this" is).

Note: The above ASCII layout may require a fixed font to line up properly.

Reply to
Plan9
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.