Newbie wants to look at other people's packets (promiscuous mode fails to capture packets)

I want to start looking at other people' packets. But I must be doing something wrong. Don't I need to be in promiscuous mode to capture "someone elses packets"?

Following advise read here, I installed netstumbler & wireshark on windows in my first attempt to capture encrypted packets from the safety and comfort of my home.

Even though I KNOW there are wireless access points all around me, I can't seem to capture anything in promiscuous mode. Please see my netstumbler screenshot I just placed at

formatting link
which should be pretty normal when it comes to local area access points - so there MUST be some traffic that I can capture.

My question is why doesn't being in promiscuous mode capture any packets from my home? When I'm not in promiscuous mode, aren't I only getting my own packets (which isn't the point).

Can you advise me as to what step I'm missing so as to "see" other people's packets? It can't be that my neigborhood is that dead, wirelessly, can it?

Reply to
George D.
Loading thread data ...

"George D." hath wroth:

Nosey.

Yes. It's also known as "monitor mode".

Yep. If wireshark doesn't see everyone elses packets, you don't have a promiscuous mode driver installed. Did you notice AirPcap?

If you search alt.internet.wireless for "promiscuous mode", you'll find some clues on other ways to get it. For example, the WildPackets driver will work:

As always, the promiscuous mode drivers are hardware specific.

I like the SSID of "Virus (infected)". Clever. Yeah, any place that crowded is going to see some traffic.

See the WireShark Wiki and FAQ on wireless capture:

No, I can't. No clue what you're using for hardware. It's a driver issue and the various replacement drivers are very hardware specific.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.