Network key problem

Hope someone can help, as I am pretty useless at this, I have had a couple of guys try to sort this already....

I cannot connect via wireless to the net (it did work before) I got as far as network connections but the `repair` button is greyed out. Another friend tried entering the network key and it appears to connect and go straight back to not connected. He did mention something about `rolling back` to a previous state (or something) but doesnt know how to do that.

Are we on the right track, and, How do you roll it back?

Any help appreciated. thanks

Reply to
S S
Loading thread data ...

| Hope someone can help, as I am pretty useless at this, I have had a couple | of guys try to sort this already.... | | I cannot connect via wireless to the net (it did work before) | I got as far as network connections but the `repair` button is greyed out. | Another friend tried entering the network key and it appears to connect and | go straight back to not connected. | He did mention something about `rolling back` to a previous state (or | something) but doesnt know how to do that. | | Are we on the right track, and, How do you roll it back?

Turn encryption off and see if it works, or if not, try to get it to work that way. Once you get it working, turn encryption back on.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Glad to help when you tell me what I'm dealing with. Wireless isn't getting it done. Is there any hardware involved like a computer? How about a wireless router is there one of those? Is there a wireless NIC? Do any of these things have brand names, model numbers, and version numbers? Does the computer have an operating system, which one? You mention rollback, was it working, you changed what and now it doesn't work?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:42:17 GMT, "S S" wrote in :

What net? Your own wireless router? Public hotspot? Security on or off?

Then you're not connected.

May have been the wrong key.

Hard to tell without more information.

Reply to
John Navas

I am going to try and get someone in to look at it. It is a wireless router and I would think the key is correct my son set it up and is normally ok with this stuff but its got him stumped. I appreciate you might need more information but I struggle to know what and where to get it from.

Reply to
S S

My recommended way to troubleshoot is to turn off all security until you get it working again. Then turn security back on:

WPA is easy (and recommended) -- just enter the same strong passphrase in all wireless devices.

WEP is harder (and too weak to be recommended) because different devices handle non-hex keys differently -- be sure to enter all keys in *hex*.

Don't bother with SSID hiding or MAC filtering -- they don't do any real good.

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:13:11 GMT, "S S" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.