Netgear problem -- server not found

I have a Netgear WPN824 wireless router and have been encountering issues with connectivity. Both laptops in my house (a Dell Inspiron and a Sony Vaio) often show that the connection to the network is active, yet when you actually open up an internet browser (IE or FireFox), it says the server cannot be found. I've tried rebooting the laptops and resetting the router, but to no avail. Then, after several hours, it'll work like magic. Changing the firewall settings does not appear to have an effect. Any ideas?

Andrew

Reply to
justice.andrew
Loading thread data ...

I had a similar problem with a USB adapter recently. When I switched adapters, the connection worked fine. The difference was that one was a brand new Netgear model and one was an older Linksys. Guess which one worked?

Anyway, there's no magic happening there -- you may see that there's a momentary connection, but then it is failing right away because of interference. Find an adapter that is less susceptible to interference (ie, newer) or move the laptops away from any other wireless devices.

- JB

Reply to
JB

Okay, I'm using DHCP - here's what inconfig /all revealed (I edited out sensitive information):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . .: No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . .: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: Description: Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless LAN Card Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . .: Saturday, September 03, 2005

4:44:58 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 04, 2005 4:44:58 PM

The only peculiar thing (to my eyes) is that the default gateway, DHCP server, and DNS servers are all the same IP address.

In response to JB: I should point out that the network has been doing this periodically for the last couple of months, but for ~ 75% of the time it's worked just fine. There is an issue with interference from our cordless phones, but nothing unplugging the router for a phone call won't fix.

I've gotten the sense from other posts that Netgear is somewhat troublesome in comparison to other brands, but this router was brand new this June. Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew

Reply to
justice.andrew

What OS are you using? Are you using DHCP or static IP? If dhcp, your dhcp server should provide a gateway address and dns server addresses automatically - if Windows NT/2000/XP open a cmd prompt and run ipconfig /all OR if Linux run /sbin/route to determine if the gateway has been assigned and cat /etc/resolv.conf to determine if the dns servers are properly entered. If static IP, you need to manually enter the gateway and dns servers.

Reply to
johnny

What Operating System are you running? Is it a machine election? (servers vs XP or XP vs Windows 98 crash)... I'm in a temporary state of moving machines across town and have seen this in a USB Netgear adapter. Even after setting a profile in the TCPIP and Netgear Config...it gets lost and tries to connect at the next house over. Booting has cleared it up at times but I'm not always sure about the cable service quality. It worked before so I don't mess with the firewall. VIRI?

Oren "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Reply to
meAT

Maybe, it's your modem getting ready to go on the blink. I had an intermittent problem like you are having where the modem did that and lost connection to the ISP. It could be that your connection to the ISP is not what it should be. The ISP service person came out and checked the line saying that I could be right on the edge of service and checked the strength of the connection, which was OK. Then he checked the modem and indicated that it was on its way out. I got the modem replaced and no more problems.

If you connect a machine to the router with a wire connection does the same thing happen with a lost connection?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You don't have any IP addresses period and you don't have any connection to the Internet. You don't even have a IP Address starting with 169, which indicates the O/S timed out trying to get a DHCP IP from the router and the O/S assigned the IP to the NIC so that the machine could access other machines on you LAN.

That's not going make that IP information above do that. In the above IP information, you don't even have a 169 IP being assigned to the NIC, which indicates some kind of configuration issues and the O/S assigned the 169 IP to the NIC. The 169 will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN. But the 169 will not allow the machine to access the Internet since it never got an IP from the router's DHCP server. The machine doesn't even have that.

They are all about the same. For all you know, it could be the wireless NIC is going out. You should switch the machine to a wire connection and see if the problem follows with the connectivity issues with the router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.