Need to Confirm Power Adapter for SMC 7004AWBR

Clarence Dold already answered the question (9VDC 1A). However, if you're ever again stuck with the same problem, and the incompetent manufacturer didn't see fit to label the power adapter requirments (and polarity) on the case, you can always lookup the FCCID number at:

formatting link
power adapters are type certified along with the equipment and are always both listed and photographed. You'll find the FCC ID on the serial number tag.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

If someone out there can please confirm the info on the power adapter

which originally came (and should now be connected to) with the SMC

7004AWBR wireless broadband router.

Unfortunately, my router became seperated from the power adapter and I

can't locate a power adapter with the SMC logo on it. What I think came

with the router has the name \"HON_KWANG\" on it. The output matches

the specs on the router-12VDC 1500mA. Input-120V 60Hz 35W, Model No.-

D12-15A. It also states it is a PLUG IN CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Reply to
rcgrosz

My SMC7004WFW has a power adapter labelled DVE Model No DV-91A input 120VAC 170mA, output 9VDC 1000mA

Reply to
dold

I could spew some boring history on why the wall wart has to be type certified along with the device. As usual, it was politics, not technology that drove the decision. Think TI-99/4A game machine.

That SMC7004AWBR router isn't the only device that will run on an assortment of power adapter voltages. Well designed switching power supplies inside the boxes do the trick. Do you recall when I tested my BEFW11S4 and found that it would run just fine with an applied voltage down to about 3.7VDC even though the sticker said 12VDC?

formatting link
with a WRT54Gv2 when I tested it. Looking through the FCC data on the various WRT54G mutations, I found that the original adapter was

5VDC, while the current one is 12VDC. Juggling adapter voltages is common.

The apparent trend is towards having everything run on 12VDC. There are various techy reasons for this, but the obvious motivation is cost. 12VDC seems to be the most common wall wart and therefore the cheapest. I haven't bothered to calculate the efficiency, but methinks 12VDC might offer some benifits there. It's a tradeoff between diode forward conduction losses in the wall wart, versus switching regulator efficiency in the box. A project for another day.

Anyways, one of the side benifits is that the boxes can be run off of

12VDC solar power, cheezy battery packs, GelCells, automobile power, and a common power bus. Also, don't assume that just because the sticker says "12VDC 1Amp" that the unit actually draws 1A (or smokes 12watts). That's just the rating on the wall wart, not the current drain. It's always less than the sticker rating. Usually much less.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's downright handy. I always use a label maker to add the device information to the power adapter. Even if they have the same vendor name on them, I still want to be sure I have the right one. It also makes it easier to power cycle a device by pulling the right plug at the power strip. SMC7004AWBR - FCC ID HED7004ACC - Same DVE power supply as the SMC7004WFW. That doesn't match the original poster's comments, though. It's 9v, not 12v. Maybe there's more than one SMC7004AWBR.

Reply to
dold

Once upon a time, a manufactory of remote serial terminal servers decided to replace their defective wall warts, which tended to catch fire, with a more substantial equivalent. Unfortunately, they weren't very careful about the selection of power connectors. The center pin on the terminal server was 1.6mm, while the plugs were 2.1mm or 2.5mm (I forgot which). They would sorta fit and worked as long as one didn't touch anything, move anything, slam the door, breathe, etc. Intermittent would be an understatement.

Faced with the task of replaceing connectors on 15 terminal servers in

5 different locations, in 3 states, I elected to take a short cut. I found some suitable brass shim stock and rolled it around a mandrel to form something that resembled a roll pin. I used a Dremel tool to cut the tube to size. I then crammed it into the power plug. No more intermittents. I mailed a supply of adapter tubes to the various locations, which were successfully installed by office personnel.

When I informed the manufactory of the problem, I was immediately innundated with phone calls from corporate hindquarters and their legal office. Apparently, they were worried that they had compounded a hazzard and was hunting for litigatory relief. After I assured them that this was not the case, and that my fix was satisfactory, I was again innundated by phone calls from their field service and engineering departments asking how I had done it, what thickness, what size mandrel, what cut length, etc. I ended up making a drawing suitable for manufacturing and faxed them a copy. I hadn't seen any, but I was told that they shipped their available stock of power supplies with oversized connectors and shims, until someone gave them a clue that the UL certification might be "affected" by the change.

I still carry some shim stock around for the purpose.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My comment was pointed toward identifying the power adapter that used to be attached to the SMC. I would dig around in the spare parts box looking for the one with the DVE label. As for getting something to work... I'd still like to use the one that came with it. I have trouble distinguishing amongst the dozens of nearly identical round plugs that differ in inner diameter or outer diameter or length by just a little bit. The polarity is probably fairly standard. Current draw of the device is pretty low. Voltage might not matter much, although I'd like to stay with whatever came with it. The intermittent contact from a wrong sized plug might be more of a problem than anything else.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.