Motorola Canopy on Volmer Peak

formatting link
There are 8 of these dishes on Volmer Peak (Berkeley,Ca). I like the cheesy corner reflector set up. Like the guy was short one dish and figured nobody would notice. A few of these are near the top of the tower. The one that were photographed are mounted to a passive reflector structure that has been there for ages. Not that the Canopy set up is related to the reflector. Rather, they just shart the same small tower.

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

Actually, if the 5210BH is what is connected to those dishes, it's an illegal setup. Whoever the owner is better pray that the FCC doesn't find out about this one. You cannot amplify a 5.2 Canopy radio any more than it already is.

Chris

snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

Reply to
NetSteady

NetSteady wrote:

If you google the number, there are photographs of that transmitter attached to dishes. Of course, the pipe clamp looks cheesy.

Is this some sort of private wireless internet?

Reply to
miso

"NetSteady" wrote in news:1164746131.628325.311160@

80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

Thats how Motorola Sells them !!!

formatting link

Did you see the new Engenius/Senao, the 16 dBi one ? It claims 16 dBi antenna and 400 mW transmitting power ?

formatting link
Doing the math, at 400 mW, and 16 dBi, that's 14+W ERP, IF, you believe the numbers.

I was kind of suprised when I saw the 16 dBi unit, as it's not much larger than the 9 dbi one. I suspect that the antenna is not really 16 dBi. The 9 dbi unit has a single patch antenna inside. I was expecting the 16 dBi unit to be 2 to 3 times the size of the 9, but it's only a couple inches larger in each direction.

The antenna design is like a hybrid patch/yagi thing. It's a stacked patch. I have not measured anything yet, as I'd have to destroy back on the case to get to the antenna coax.

Regards,

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.