More on my WRT54G issues

One of the websites on interference says

"When deploying a wireless LAN, always conduct a RF site survey, and analyze the presence of interfering RF sources. Understand that if FHSS networks are found operating in the local area, then you'll probably need to live with lower performance on an 802.11b/g network. "

How do I conduct a RF site survey? What little tool/gadget is needed?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche
Loading thread data ...

Hey, great! Thanks!

-Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Get netstumbler (free) and install it on your laptop and walk around the house / property. It will detect other wi-fi networks in vicinity (if any) and display their signal strength and what channel they are using. Netstumbler will only detect networks with SSID set to broadcast so there could be a wireless network next door with SSID off and you wouldn't see it. Don't know about it's ability to see FHSS signals. Maybe someone else will answer that question. But a good start is to use Netstumbler to help avoid using an in-use nearby channel. Best channels to use are 1, 6, 11.

formatting link
for winXP / 2K only

Reply to
DanR

Good question. Site surveys come in two flavors.

1. Looking for other 802.11 systems.
  2. Looking for other sources of 2.4GHz RF.

The 802.11 sources are usually found using a laptop and Netstumbler. This will identify 802.11b/g access points. However, if the access point is not broadcasting its SSID, Netstumbler will not find anything. To avoid this problem, I use a Linux "live CD" running Kismet to detect such access points. |

formatting link
Non-802.11 sources generally require a spectrum analyzer. I use a really crude spectrum analyzer based on a Proxim 7400 RangeLan2 frequency hopping spread spectrum card. |
formatting link
and scanning speed are lousy, but this is as cheap as they get.

To do a proper job of sniffing for non-802.11 interference, you need a proper spectrum analyzer. Also helpful is a 2.4Ghz low noise amplifier and a big directional antenna so that you can determine the direction of the interference. They're not cheap but you might be able to borrow one from a local comm shop. |

formatting link
I'm not sure what article you read, but methinks it's probably out of date. FHSS networks (Breezcom, Alvarion, Raylink, Symbol, Proxim) are not terribly common. None of these are visible with Netstumbler, Kismet, or other 802.11 sniffer. These days, interference comes from WiMax sites running at 2.4Ghz and other 802.11b/g users. FHSS really does rip on 802.11b/g performance.

I don't think the average user can do a proper site survey. For the typical indoor installation, it's probably not necessary. However, if you're building a link that crosses over a large populated area, or starting a wireless ISP (WISP), then doing a site survey is manditory. No sense in investing large amound of time and money only to find the band already occupied by incompatible equipment.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.