Linksys Router Crash

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

SonicWALL TZ 150 can be had for less than half of that (delivered).

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

From where? Also, I need more than about 10 DHCP licenses, and the yearly maintenance costs concern me a bit. I can get firmware updates for Linksys products I don't even own, but AFAICT I have to have a current maintenance agrement with SonicWall to even know what the latest firmware is for a particular product.

Not trying to bash them, BTW, just have very limited experience with them, and was not positively impressed.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The TZ series are mature and stable enterprise products, so firmware shouldn't be an issue as it is with low-end consumer routers.

I've used them for years with great success.

Reply to
John Navas

Ah, no wonder I can't find the 10-25 node upgrade price for the TZ150, there _isn't_ one. The TZ170, which is upgradable, goes for $651 at the above store.

What about upgrades and feature additions? Years ago almost no-one had heard of (for instance) QOS, and now it's all the rage.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Tried the Linksys WRT54G V5 (with the new AIX closed OS, just on the off chance that it'd work, or at least be different), and it lasted about an hour, so that isn't the solution. 8*|

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I generally buy products on what's available now, not what I hope might be available some day. I've got SonicWALL boxes that have been working for years without feeling any need for upgrade. If it works, it works.

Reply to
John Navas

Sure, but I've got (for instance) a client with a SonicWall 802.11b box. I'm proposing they disable the WiFi and add a Linksys AP. Replacing the box with a SonicWall 802.11g device wouldn't make any sense in this case.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.