Let the games begin!

DevilsPGD wrote on [Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:33:00 -0700]:

But it can't be new & improved. Choose one.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Thanks, Todd. I was following this at the time, and it seems to me that I recall, even several weeks after the loss, that only *some* of the data had been fully recovered -- *all* of it for many customers, *most* of it for some others, and little to none for the remainder.

T-Mo Forums were rife with angry complaints from all but the first group of customers.

But you're right, of course, none of the recovery successes made much news.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

You don't get a medal for anything less than full recovery! Even a 98% recovery can leave you with a lot of customers who lost data. Those who did lose data will not be pleased with your performance! If you have

3,000,000 customers and two percent lose data that you can't recover, you have 180,000 former customers telling everyone what a P.O.S. you are. You had better believe that the word will get around.

OTOH, the customer should ALSO be making backups to his desktop or laptop or, if he has nothing better, pen and ink. Nobody cares more about your data than you do!

Reply to
Richard B. Gilbert

Consider an analogy... You buy a new laptop, it has twice the battery life but happens to have a bit of an electrical shock problem when it's plugged in and sitting in your lap.

It's both an improvement for many *and* yet still unfit to be sold at the same time. Many won't ever have the problem because they use their laptops on desks or tables, or unplug when they're on the sofa.

It seems pretty clear, from reading the various articles on this subject: To recreate the problem you need to be in an area with already marginal signal strength.

This is hard to find since the iPhone lies about signal strength, but once you find the right spot it sounds like the problem is easy to reproduce.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Not really, from everything I read the issue is related to using the metal band as the antenna instead of the prior and commonly used on other phones embedded antenna.

The current best fix is to give Steve another $30 for a "bumper" which greatly helps because it moves your hand further away from the antenna so there is less detuning and RF absorption from your hand.

The other thing that isn't helping Apple is they chose to deceive folks by using an algorithm that displays full signal until there is almost none.

Reply to
George

Tempest in a teapot IMHO: Google data (e.g., Contacts) are been backed up in the cloud from day 1. It's quite easy to backup all user content on the SD card. Most people don't care enough to bother.

Reply to
John Navas

There was only a relatively small number of complaints, Essentially *all* the data was recovered. The only exceptions were those users who ignored advice to sit tight and wait, instead trying things on their own, which mangled their data, which they then complained about, even though it was their own fault. Such users probably wouldn't have done any better backing up data on their own, and would have still complained when something went wrong. There will always be those who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

Reply to
John Navas

Of course not. That would be an unconstitutional taking. It would have to show something like fraud to set aside the license.

Given our history and practice, I don't see this as a real issue.

That's not a security clause. That's a reversion clause.

It's not that simple -- what assets are protected in bankruptcy varies from state to state, and depends on what steps you've taken to protect assets. Both car and residence are protected in some case, and more can be protected with proper preparation.

Good questions.

Reply to
John Navas

They LICENSE them.

Reply to
John Navas

there is more than one issue that is involved.

no, the current best fix is to not jump to conclusions and see what apple actually does and if it helps.

nonsense and totally baseless.

Reply to
nospam

assuming you want that data in the cloud, that's good.

that's exactly why iphones back up *everything* automatically, without requiring the user or the app developer to do anything special. it's laughable that android doesn't, but at least they've added the capability in 2.2.

Reply to
nospam

For some people, losing all the phone numbers and appointments stored in their phones is a nuisance rather than a disaster. For others . . . .

I was a computer system administrator for most of my working life. It made me very aware of the value of backups!

If losing the data stored in your phone would be a disaster, you should be making disaster recovery plans! If you have no other means of doing it, paper, pencil, and you, will get the job done. Making a copy on your computer is usually more convenient.

If you have a Motorola phone, "Motorola Phone Tools" is software for your PC that enables it to talk to your phone, backup your contacts, appointments, etc. The last time I checked, V5.5 was the current version! There are, or were, people selling V4.x; don't get sucked in to that little trap; V4.0 is not upgradeable or at least is not without some help from Motorola!

If your phone isn't a Motorola phone, check with the store where you bought it; there should be some means of doing a backup and restore.

Reply to
Richard B. Gilbert

Clearly you don't even have an idea about what I just described but yet you decided to make yourself look silly.

You really need to do some fact checking before making a declaration like that. Go and review how the current algorithm for displaying the bars works. Apology accepted

Reply to
George

To be fair, the servers were down for a week. I'm not sure I'd have been very patient either. ;)

It's not like they had the opportunity- there is no Sidekick-to-desktop backup. At least with Android/Google, there's Google Desktop Sync, and various third-party tools.

I'm willing to cut them a little slack in this instance. The news from MS and T-Mo at the time was slow, contradictory, and disheartening- the data was proclaimed almost certainly lost at one point.

It was a major screwup, but at least MS mostly cleaned up their mess. In retrospect, however, it was all worth it, because those server upgrades were a necessary step in bringing us...

...Kin! ;)

Reply to
Todd Allcock

i have. you need to stop listening to soundbites.

'the' current algorithm? there is no single one.

Reply to
nospam

My Google Calendar is automatically backed up in the cloud as well, and like my Contacts, is automatically replicated on all my other devices, so I'm protected even if Google should have a very unlikely disaster.

>
Reply to
John Navas

I seem to recall it being more like roughly 4 days over a weekend, but nonetheless still painful to many.

But even with the opportunity they probably wouldn't have backed up. I don't know a single client or friend that would be backing up on their own.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The sheeple have been brainwashed into the idea the government should be a profit-making organization the sheeple think is going to reduce their taxes.

Pfat Chance.

Reply to
Larry

Is it private? Secure? Maybe it is now but the history contains some embarrassing incidents!

Reply to
Richard B. Gilbert

I'm not terribly worried about my Google Contacts and Google Calendar. I encrypt the things I do worry about.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.