The iPhone 4 Redux: Analyzing Apple's iOS 4.0.1 Signal Fix & Antenna Issue [telecom]

The iPhone 4 Redux: Analyzing Apple's iOS 4.0.1 Signal Fix & Antenna Issue

by Brian Klug & Anand Lal Shimpi on 7/15/2010 12:28:00 PM

In case you haven't noticed, the iPhone 4's antenna design has come under considerable scrutiny. In our iPhone 4 review, we investigated the iPhone 4 antenna and came to two conclusions. First, that iOS 4 was displaying signal bars in an overly optimistic manner, compressing the dynamic range of possible signal bars users can see. Second, we identified a worst case signal drop of around 24 dBm when the iPhone 4 is cupped tightly in the left hand, covering the black strip and possibly detuning the antennas and adding additional attenuation from the presence of the hand.

Since those initial measurements, we've been working tirelessly to both characterize the problem, fully understand the mechanisms behind it, and report on a number of possible solutions.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Thanks to Job's panic, I got sucked in today to a one-hour update to my old 3G iPhone. It didn't let me know that until I was trapped.

I am not an Apple fan, even less so now.

Reply to
Sam Spade

You are never "trapped" and only if you choose to be. On all updates you are asked whether you wish to download the update. It is not foisted upon you. That's your decision alone whether you think it's beneficial to you.

One has to ask though that if you're not a "fan" why did you bother getting the device in the first place. It's not as if there aren't lots of other choices by a myriad of other vendors. You need to take responsibility for your own actions.

Reply to
Joseph Singer

Quite frankly, I'm tired of glib the-blame-is-on-the-victim statements like that above.

Folks *do* get sandbagged by unintended -- and unforeseeable -- consequences of Murphy's Law. To hold the sandbagees responsible for the damage those consequences entail is the height of arrogance, IMnsHO.

Telecom illustration: You have an unlimited data plan for WAP access. Your bill shows that, one fine day, your Megabyte of WAP access data that day registered as Internet data instead, and you are billed for it, *and* the fine folks at your cellular provider cannot accept that it's all a one-day mis-characterization of your data access type by the billing software. *You* are to "take responsibility" for that? (That's happened to me.)

Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.