iPhone Worm Hits Australia

You don't need to jailbreak to write your own apps, if you stay more or less within the lines. Think Different, but only like we tell you.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Oh, the kind of software I think of, a large Danish-English, English-Danish dictionary, would never be accepted by the AppStore as the data belongs to the publishing house Gyldendal - unfortunately this house doesn't seem to be interested in getting out dictionaries to iPhone users ;-(.

Earlier this year, however, they /did/ publish proper dictionaries between Danish and English, German, French and Spanish for MacOS X. With

110.000-150.000 words each. A competing company has, though, published dictionaries for the iPhone but only with 35.000 words - making them almost valueless.

At present I'm using Audio Shorter Oxford English Dictionary [600.000 entries] and Oxford's dictionaries to and from other languages [160.000 entries] on my iPhone. And Gyldendal's Dictionaries + Oxford English Dictionary [all 23 volumes] on my Mac.

Reply to
Per Rønne

You can still write your own app and run it locally, without AppStore approval...

Reply to
DevilsPGD

It could be worse ... you could end up with Britney Spears ring tones. ;-)

Reply to
Your Name

As far as I know only if you're a registered and /paying/ developer.

Reply to
Per Rønne

Just another one-hit-wonder "created" by the music industry because he looked good to females, rather than someone who actually has any talent.

Reply to
Your Name

I wonder if it would still lip sync ?

Reply to
atec7 7

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Per Rønne chose the tried and tested strategy of:

By that logic, buying an iphone is the problem.

Reply to
alexd

It might have a melt down ....

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Correct. Only $100 stands between you and becoming a paying developer.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

As a child did you grab the crayon and scribble all over the page, or did you stay in the lines so it didn't get all F'd up?

Reply to
el KaBong

And since I'm a computer science major I should be able to develop such an application. The matter is whether I find it worth the efforts taking into account it would be illegal - and since the owner might decide to develop the proper dictionaries with newer data.

I don't consider it worth the effort.

Reply to
Per Rønne

snipped-for-privacy@RQNNE.> > >

On the other hand, if you've done all the work, the owner MIGHT decide to buy the application off you (it would be cheaper than doing the work themselves). :-)

Reply to
Your Name

I don't think so. Gyldendal is the oldest and most dominant Danish publishing house [founded 1770 - and with a market share close to that of a monopoly]. They make their own decisions and the data I have come from an old version of the Danish-English and English-Danish dictionaries for Classic Mac. In html-code - 15-20 years old.

I think the size of the dictionaries has increased hevealy since.

Reply to
Per Rønne

I made my own lines, then drew within them. I've made a lot of money through life doing that, too.

Reply to
Warren Oates

I drew where I wanted, and then drew the lines around it.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

You could make a generic dictionary app that can download and install dictionary data, then it would do what you want and not be illegal and be acceptable to the App Store.

Reply to
Jon Ribbens

Of course - with a proper description of how data should be structured before import.

Reply to
Per Rønne

"Drew"?!? How quaint and old fashioned. Those of us with brains clicked on the paint can icon, clicked on a colour, and then clicked in a blank outlined space ... a few clicks later you click on Print and you're finished. ;-)

I remember way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth buying a large A3+ cut-out model of an R2-D2-style droid which you had to colour in ... my younger brother "helped" and ruined it by colouring outside the lines, and there were none left to buy another one. :-(

Reply to
Your Name

I started drawing on the page and then moved onto the desk, table, chair, walls, floor, etc. Rigid artificial boundaries are not for me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.