How to Bridge Two Routers

My ISP has me behind a linksys non-wireless router. I wanted to have wireless at home, so I attached my wireless router to that one but couldn't get it to work. I called up my ISP and they told me to configure my wireless router to "bridge" to the first router. What exactly does this mean, and how do I do it?

Also, I considered removing the first router entirely and just using the wireless router. But I'm not sure how the first router is configured -- eg, whether it is Static / DHCP / PPPOE / PPTP. Is there any way for me to figure that out?

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Toshiba_Sucks
Loading thread data ...

It means your ISP has no clue.

All you need to do is

- connect the two routers together with ordinary ethernet cable, LAN port to LAN port. Ignore the WAN port on your wireless router, its redundant.

- disable DHCP on the wireless router

- configure it with a fixed IP which is in the subnet of the linksys eg 192.168.1.253 or something.

Things should now work. The wireless router will let clients connect, they'll get their IP addy etc from the other router, and all should be well.

Look at the config screens? Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

YOu might well need a Crossover cable to connect the two routers no sure if linksys are auto sensing

Reply to
developers

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will also have to set the wireless router to AP mode rather than Gateway or Router.

Cheers!

Reply to
2004TL.NBP

A wireless router is simply an AP with a switch and a router attached. If you ignore the WAN port you have an AP attached to a switch. Nothing to configure. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It worked. Here is what I did:

Changed the WAN IP address to belong to the subnet of the linksys (original) router and changed DNS, default gateway to those of the original router.

If I want to know the c> >

Reply to
Toshiba_Sucks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.