How should I be comparing home routers?

Is there a clear winner when comparing d-link, netgear, and linksys in terms of Range and Security? I can't find any significant differences. I must be missing something.

Should I be more concerned with other issues instead? (like tweakability issues or reliability issues)

Humbly and Respectfully requesting a router reccomendation--you guys know your stuff. Only need 3 MBps.

Reply to
Raif
Loading thread data ...

For cable (not ADSL) broadband, Linksys' WRT54G seem generally reliable and very popular - the latter due to being highly customisable through being able to change the stock Linksys firmware with 3rd party firmware, adding many additional features.

(The latest version of this router, v5, seems to be one to avoid, though.)

Reply to
__spc__

#1 - Reliability (I have had good luck with Netgear, and CompUSA branded routers; I have had lots of problems with Linksys) #2 - Price (I bought a CompUSA branded router for $2.99 after rebates around Jan 1; At that price, if it doesn't work for you, you can junk it). #3 - Functionality (The CompUSA router can be configured as a repeater with another identical router; This solves any range problems you might run into; You can only do this with Linksys or Netgear if you buy one of their Access Points)

I haven't tried any 3rd party firmware. This is fine for hackers, but probably not something a normal, non-technical user would want to get into.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Yeah, you can't beat that price

That's not true of Linksys, and I'd doubt it's any more true of the others. If you buy a router that advertises WDS, it will do WDS with identical routers, and not likely with anything else. WRT54Gs work great as repeaters.

There's nothing at all to it. Anybody can upgrade the firmware on a router if they follow the instructions.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.