How many computers (sequentially) can a Windows license be re-used

I have a Microsoft store-bought version of Windows 7 professional. It was installed on once machine, which was retired; and then on another. I'm about to retire the second machine, which had to be activated by telephone when I activated it last (as it was a totally different machine than the original one).

I'd like to use the Windows 7 Pro on another machine (and I'll put WinXP on the current machine - so it will be a swap - but that's not the question).

The question is whether there is a limit to the NUMBER of machines that SEQUENTIALLY can have the same product key.

To clarify, there will NEVER be more than one machine with the same product key at the same time. The question is simply whether there is a limit to the NUMBER of machines that used the license, over time?

Reply to
Eddie Powalski
Loading thread data ...

If it is the Windows 7 retail version, there is no expiration on the number of times the particular product key can be used for a Windows 7 installation. However, the only restriction is that this key can only be applied to just one Win7 installation at a time, i.e., no concurrent installation, including a virtual machine.

For the Windows 7 OEM ("system builder") install, its product key can only be applied to the system with which it was built and restricted permanently to that system.

Note that if the purchased Windows 7 Professional is an upgrade install and not a full-install, then the Windows XP install going into the old machine cannot be the qualifying OS.

I think this covers all of the fine points.

GR

Reply to
Ghostrider

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:38:53 -0700, Ghostrider

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

Reply to
richard

Now that's interesting.

I have the box in front of me. It says: Windows 7 Ultimate Microsoft Company Store Purchase Do not lend or make illegal copies. 32-bit software (and 64-bit software)

There is a proof of license card, with a product key, which says "Label not to be sold separately".

There is also an orange booklet for Windows 7, and an upgrade card. But the actual license terms don't appear to be printed.

Hmm... doesn't that contradict your first statement that I can use it on any number of machines that I own at one location?

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

No. I'm just saying don't be online with more than two at the same time. They will know how many machines are online through your MAC address.

Reply to
richard

I don't think a MAC address makes it through the router. Does it?

Plus, you can set all your PCs to have the same MAC address if you like. Right?

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

I wonder if they really use the NIC address because that can be trivially easily spoofed with freeware...

I looked at their privacy statement, and it didn't say:

formatting link

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

This is the only article I have on Activation.

formatting link

The MAC is stored in hardware somewhere, which is where the computer gets the value when booted for the first time. Some motherboards, the BIOS flasher has a command line option to change the value, but not all motherboards do that. My NVidia Nforce2 based motherboard, is the only one I have where the MAC can be changed via the BIOS flasher. And retail motherboards, sometimes have a sticker with the MAC printed on it, in case the hardware value ever needs to be corrected (by say, the factory).

Not many boards, allow this sort of thing...

formatting link

This topic doesn't seem to be documented very well, and perhaps that is on purpose.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

This makes no sense to me - but maybe I'm missing something. First, what's a "MB" number? Second, a MAC address, on both Linux & Windows, is trivial to change. It's also trivial to change a MAC address on (most) routers.

I have no idea how to change the hard drive serial number though.

Can it be done with freeware?

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

Why not just change the MAC address in freeware software?

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
etc.

Reply to
Eddie Powalski

formatting link

"MS Windows: On Microsoft Windows systems, the MAC address is stored in a registry key. The location of that key varies from one MS Windows version to the next, but find that and you can just edit it yourself."

The OS can probe for the "burned in hardware value", when doing a WPA check. I don't think the spoof software you quote, will fix that. It's for changing the MAC which is stored in some intermediate location. Windows WPA won't be reading a registry key for this. They're not that dumb.

And the hard drive serial number, the hard drive manufacturer doesn't want you to change that. (They check the serial, when determining whether your warranty claim is valid.) So they're not going to leave that out in the open. It's probably not "burned in hardware" and ultra-secure - you might need to overwrite "track -1" to get at it. Just a guess. "Track -1" contains the body of the drive firmware and data structures. And it just might have the serial as well. Using the firmware flasher, should not be overwriting where the serial is stored. As far as I know, there is some provision in the ATA/ATAPI spec for updating firmware. And it's not likely to trash other areas of storage.

Even if you did a Secure Erase of the drive, it should not touch the serial number.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No, not by normal networking means, but nothing prevents an application from picking up the MAC and transporting it as data to a distant endpoint. Maybe that's what richard is talking about, but I don't know.

You could, but if they're on the same LAN you won't get very far. Duplicate MAC addresses will prevent intra-LAN communication.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.