How do I tell if a Network switch is "bad"?

I have a network that's been using a Netgear GS608 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for years, without any real problems. Lately, however, I've experienced slow, erratic access from computers or tablets using the Access Point that's connected to that switch. I eventually tried connecting my router directly to the AP, and saw really good performance.... which leads me to believe that the switch is the bad part of the circuit.... but it does "work", it's just that pages take a long time to load, and so performance is very poor. Is there any way to test it and tell if the switch is simply defective, or maybe worn out?

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir
Loading thread data ...

Guess I'd run a bunch of big, rapid pings or similar between known good devices on different ports, and see if you lose any. With any decent switch, you should lose virtually none.

Aaron

Reply to
aaron

Kinda sounds like the swtich is bad. Since an identical replacement is about $40 and up: I would think it easiest to simply troubleshoot by replacement. If a new switch works better, then the old one is bad.

However, I have had problems with Netgear power supplies, which can cause some really bizarre behavior. Try a power supply with the same voltage rating, and equal or higher current rating.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It is Netgear. Of course it is bad.

Reply to
miso

OK, I usually have "my" computer connected directly to the router, and all the other devices (DirecTV Genie, wife's computer, AP to phones and tablets) to the switch.... so I tried connecting my computer through the switch, and yes, it is definitely bad. Since I didn't need all 8 ports, I ordered a new 5 port switch.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.