Equations to calculate range?

Hi,

I actually found a use for a clear LOS shot, so started giving it some consideration. I am unclear as to what equation that can be used to predict (to an extent) range? From googling, I've found many of them -- which all yields different results.

I'm trying to "baseline" what is possible, starting with the upper range antennas that are approachable (cost-wise). Two 32 dBi parabolics would run me just over $500, which is about high as I'd be wanting to invest.

Its unclear to me how to calculate and predict (to an extent, of course), what "real world" expectations could be.

The shot would 802.11a (5Ghz) and for simplicity lets assume that it is a completetly clear LOS shot with absolutetly no obstacles and in clear weather with no (or very little) RFI.

Is it possible to calculate a ball park figure for range, given:

Transmit power before hitting the antennenas: 18 dBm (63 mW, 802.11a, 5Ghz)

Antennas: parabolic on both ends, giving 32 dBi gain each

Receive sensitivity: -73 dBm to -84 dBm (It could lower, but this range, based on specs, should yield acceptable data rates)

Thanks!

(Or, should I say, thanks in advance, Jeff!) :^)

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Oh, these this was the antenna I was eyeballing:

formatting link
(I'd get two, of course.)

Reply to
Eric

The Ham Radio folks know how to do this and there are charts in one of the handbooks. If youir numbers are sccurate you get genuine results.

Google for "pass loss calculation". There are all sorts of solutions. SOme may work for you.

Reply to
Al Dykes

No way today. Billing, taxes, one crisis, and a evening antenna project in the rain.

Start here: |

formatting link
are at least a dozen posting in the last few months where I've walked someone through the link calculations. Any one of these can be used as an example: |
formatting link
it a try, post your calcs, and I'll check your work (later).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
There are at least a dozen posting in the last few months where I've

formatting link
Give it a try, post your calcs, and I'll check your work (later).

Thanks.

You got me pointed in the right direction.

I definetly will read everything, starting off there. I'm planning on weather-proofing and mounting the AP's as close to the antennas as possible, hopefully right on right on their "support structures", to minimize cable-loss as much as possible.

Wow, don't know if I'm doing the numbers completetly correct yet (I will be familiarizing myself), but some playing around is showing that 32 dBi gain gives much more range than I thought. I would guessing like maybe a mile and a half. LOL

Reply to
Eric

Thanks, I'll google that and lurk around Ham radio sites as well!

Reply to
Eric

formatting link
> There are at least a dozen posting in the last few months where I've

formatting link
> Give it a try, post your calcs, and I'll check your work (later).

Oh, pretty cool too, springboard'd from there to a site that calculates azimuth/elevations based on two Lat/Longs. Didn't even think about that. That'll give me an excuse to finally do something worthwhile with my GPS. :^)

Reply to
Eric

I use a map, SA Topo! program, Delorme Street Atlas, Topozone, Google Earth, or anything else that gives Lat-Long. There are lots of web sites that will calculate distance:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
's the easy part.

Next, you get to calculate the Fresnel Zone clearance to make sure there's nothing in the way. Minimum is 0.8 times the Fresnel Zone clearance. I suggest downloading and doing battle with Radio Mobile:

formatting link
do the point to point freznel zone calcs, see:
formatting link
sure to use the SRTM maps and NOT the DEM/DTEM maps. This is a bit of a learning curve, but methinks well worth it. The nice part is that it's free.

Incidentally, I don't think you're going to like the 32dBi 5.7GHz dish antennas. The solid dish is about 3 ft across and weighs about 25lbs. The fiberglass radome doubles the weight. Add another 5-10 lbs in brackets. It took two of us on the tower to muscle it into place. Alignment was successfully accomplished after removing the feed and shooting a green laser through the feed mount.

formatting link
antenna is not counterbalanced and will require a rather substantial mounting pipe.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't know the numbers, but based on my own experience and Jeff's "6dBi doubles the range" I'd have to guess that's achievable. Remember though that the Fresnel zone is quite wide at that range. You need not just line of site, but no obstacles in the Fresnel zone.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.