Dynamically Change SSID

I've looking for information on how to change the SSID dynamically. I want to use a USB Wirless Adapter on different PCs in Ad Hoc Mode. I want to be able to change the SSID for USB Wireless Adapter dynamically based on a configuration. I don't want to use the vendor setup software, is there a way to set up the USB wirelss Adapter.

I appreciate pointing me to documenation or advice.

Reply to
fernandez.dan
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure you're not planning a DoS (denial of service) attack?

Based on what configuration? Wireless config? Laptop config? Network config? Device (hardware) config?

Any particular operating system? If you going between different OS's, you *WILL* have problems.

Documentation? Nobody reads the docs.

The sloppy way is to find the registry key that holds the SSID. It might be in a config file somewhere depending on hardware, but for USB, it's mostly like buried in the registry. Use a free registry search and destroy tool like:

as there may be more than one place in the registry where it's buried. If you want to move the USB device with it's settings, you'll have to grab the rest of the registry key, especially the MAC address.

After you extract the key, create a collection of .REG files, each with a different SSID. To change the SSID, just run the .REG file. The problem with this is that some devices temporarily store the connection details in the device. If it doesn't work, try just unplugging the USB dongle, and then plugging it back in.

Another method is to use software specifically designed for the purpose. I use:

I have about 15 profiles setup, one for each of my major customers networks. If I need to work at one of these customers, I merely run Netswitcher, which changes all my network and email settings. Sometimes I have to reboot. Whether it will work for your unspecified USB devices is unknown. Methinks it will. If not there are other similar programs that can be used (and I'm too lazy to excavate).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.