Does a stand-alone Skype phone exist with a web browser & bluetooth?

Does a stand-alone Skype phone exist that has...

- a web-authentication browser (required)

- a decent speakerphone (desired)

- bluetooth capability (optional)

I tried the Linksys CIT 200 but it wasn't obvious to me before I bought it that it requires an additional base station and so it won't work in a hotel or mcdonalds without a laptop already hooked up to the hotel network.

For a standalone Skype phone, I looked at the Linksys WIP 320 which doesn't require the base station, but it doesn't have an authentication web browser so it won't work on most hotels and mcdonalds. Besides, the speakerphone setup of the Linksys WIP320 is absolutely horrid and it doesn't have bluetooth.

Researching more, I liked the concept of the Panasonic KX-WP1050 Skype Wi-Fi phone and router because it comes with a wireless router (which has its own set of advantages) but it can connect with WPA2-PSK on its own without the router. Unfortunately, the KXWP1050 doesn't have a web-authentication browser; and it doesn't allow a bluetooth earpiece.

Is there a Skype phone that has what most people would want? Namely... (in addition to the obvious)

- web authentication browser (required)

- decent speakerphone (desired)

- bluetooth (optional)

Reply to
Lori
Loading thread data ...

I forgot to mention it needs to support decent encryption (WPA2-PSK).

Reply to
Lori

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:43:12 -0400, Lori wrote in :

PSK is to be avoided if possible. While WPA2 is nice, WPA is sufficient. So I'd say WPA Enterprise.

As for web-based authentication, I don't think it's really appropriate for handsets -- what's needed is more support for WISPr (included in the Netgear SPH200W).

In the meantime, consider:

• Devicescape , which supports the Linksys Linux-based WIP300 VoIP phone and more (including iPhone)
  • Cloning the handset MAC address and authenticating with a portable computer
  • Just using a headset attached to a portable computer
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.