Can incessant attacks on my wisp radio in Santa Cruz Mts be dropping service?

Daily I see in my Ubiquiti AirOS log multiple attacks on SSH port 22.

I also see periodic dropouts of the network, but they're not correlated

1:1 with those attacks so I had never put two and two together.

However, yesterday I turned off access to SSH on my rooftop radio, and my signal for the past 24 hours has been super clean.

Here's the signal before I turned off access to port 22: (the red areas are pings that never returned, the blue is ping time0 (the x-axis is in reverse time, e.g., 3pm, 2pm, 1pm, etc. moving right)

formatting link

Here is the signal AFTER I turned off access to port 22:

formatting link

The difference is so astounding, that I wonder IF the little computer inside the radio was getting hammered by the attacks, which perhaps weren't even showing up on the log file???

Could that be?

Reply to
Danny D.
Loading thread data ...

I remember Jeff intimating that noise could cause dropouts but here is my noise plot for my RocketM2.

formatting link

Does it look unusual to you?

Reply to
Danny D.

Turning off SSH solved the problem!

For the past few days, I've been graphing the dropouts and the signal has been clear.

So, it seems that leaving SSH enabled on a rooftop radio when you have a static IP address is folly because brute force attacks will eventually knock you off the net.

Reply to
Danny D.

You should probably report this to Ubiquiti, although I'm sure they'll tell you that you just shouldn't leave SSH open to the outside world. Also, I doubt having a static IP address is anything to do with it.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.