Bridging with SWEEX LC000070?

We have two Sweex wireless routers, type nr. LC00070. According to the manual (see

formatting link
page 26) it is possible to configure these as bridge and access points simultaneously. I spent almost a whole day unsucsessfully making this happen. Did you succeed? Any good tips really appreciated!!

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Hi Paul,

If you mean WDS with the default Sweex firmware, yes it's possible ( I know the docs are pretty abysmal for them-actually they're the worst I've ever seen ). Buy cheap-get cheap. Additionally, the MAC addresses on them ( at least the ones I've seen ) are the WAN MAC addresses not the AP MAC addresses which are the ones you need to use. Two ways to find the AP MACs. ping each of your routers and then look at the arp cache ( arp -a on Windoze ). or Download/run Netstumbler (if you're running Windoze) - gives you the same info and alot more besides.

Then basically,

1-Change the IP of one of your routers. 2-Make the SSIDs unique. 3-Make sure they're using the same channel. 4-Dsiable DHCP on the bridge. 5-Enable WDS on both routers specifying the AP Macs. 6-Enable MAC Address Control ( you only need to specify association for the WDS link ). 7-Enable WEP/WPA.

As to the merits of WDS - I was educated by a certain "Jeff" in here fairly recently. He's the kind of guy you may want to listen to (see the thread "Extending a wireless network" in here).

HTH

Rgds, S

Reply to
Steve Berry

Thanks Steve, that hint about MAC addresses might be it, I'll check and let you know!

Paul "Steve Berry" schreef in bericht news:zZ__e.4605$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Yip, MAC+1 sounds about right.

At the minute I'm using WEP ( I know it sucks-better to use WPA ), but the client cards I use don't support AES, although they do TKIP ( cheap again ). I *believe* there's a performance hit when using TKIP that AES doesn't suffer, I've just decided just to leave it at boring-old WEP at the minute, till I get time to look at it. Funnily enough these routers as advertised don't even mention support for WPA only 64/128 bit WEP, although the router interface supports WPA/PSK - guess that's what happens with cheapo (Chinese) works in progress..They're also running SMC Barricade (embedded) of you're interested.

Err.. pardon me for being ignorant but what's JOTA ??? What, you want my config settings so's you can jump on a boat with your laptop to the UK, drive half-way up the country and hack me silly ?? ;)

I'd suggest just starting off with basic 64 bit/WEP and one (sort of randomish) 10-digit hex key on each router. Use chars if you prefer. Enter the same key on XP manually (which I assume you're running) - the Sweex won't dish them out. Open Network Auth/WEP data encryption. Obviously you only really need to do this for the bridge, but you might want to do it for the AP too, depending on your setup. Then just progress upwards to the encryption level you're happy with.

If you want to send me your settings feel free - consultancy fee 500,000 UKP. He..he... ;)

S
Reply to
Steve Berry

Steve,

The hint worked, the wireless MAC addresses turned out to be identical to the wired MAC addresses as printed on the bottom stickers plus one. Network Stumbler was a great help. I got the bridge operational but so far only unencrypted. As soon as I engage encryption, using the same key on both AP's, the bridge somehow does not work anymore, as when I try to connect I do not get an IP-number allocated. For the JOTA weekend that is not too bad but in the future I would like the encryption working too. Any more hints? Do you have a similar setup working? If so I would like to get a config.bin backup of the settings of both your AP's to compare the settings. Alternatively would you like to get mine to see what's wrong?

Paul "Paul" schreef in bericht news:7a1$433cbadc$513b43d8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.versatel.nl...

Reply to
Paul

Steve,

Just a quick message, another scouting weekend is up in a few hours. In a spare hour later today I intend to check out the friendly neighbor's ADSL connection and try my unencrypted setup to see if I'll have any trouble with the distance. It's a clear line of sight for some 100 meters so that shouldn't be the hardest challenge. If it is, I might try and build some of these pringle antennas.

Could you describe your setup? Do you also use two of these LC00070 configured as in the picture in the manual? If so: what distance do you cover? Would you be willing to try my settings, if and where needed tweak them and return any improvements you made? I could email the files to you directly and add a little description of what they look like.

JOTA is the Jamboree On The Air. A Jamboree is a Scouth gathering and this one is 'on the air'. Every 3rd full weekend in October Scouts and Amateur Radio operators get together, typically the Ham sets up his equipment in the Scout club house, enabling the Scouts to talk to each other by radio to the other end of town but as easily worldwide. Every year over 500,000 Scouts and lots of Hams paricipate in the biggest worldwide scouting event, ten times more participants than any other kind of Jamboree ever held. Combined with the JOTA since some years is the JOTI, or Jamboree On The Internet. This year my group intends to participate in both, JOTI for the first time. Obvious prerequisite is an Internet connection, hence the mission impossible I seem to have embarked upon ;)

Paul

"Steve Berry" schreef in bericht news:9cj%e.9823$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
Paul

--Snip--

Pretty much. The signal strength on these is pretty awful though. I'm actually using these in a house. The Cable modem "external router" is in another room ( about 50 feet away ) and I can't even see it normally. Reflector is a good idea.

Would you be willing to try my settings, if and where needed tweak

As you've pointed out, you can backup the settings, but you can't restore them ! Who's idea was that ???. Just sending the files won't do any good - if you look at them with a hex editor, they're just filled with nulls "FFFF". If you want to pursue this email me and we'll discuss it.

Err... thanks. I was never in the Scouts so that's useful info that will stay with me for the rest of my life ! ;) Dib..dib..dib.. n' all that. ;)

Reply to
Steve Berry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.