Belkin router dropping network during games

Hi guys. I've had a Belkin wifi router for a while now, and I have a problem it seems noone can fix.

The router is connected via wi-fi to my computer upstairs (about 10 ft away, so no distance issues), and works fine, most of the time. The problem comes when I try to game. Usually the game I'm playing isn't even using the internet or the network, but after a few minutes the network disconnects and leaves me with a red-crosses network icon in my tray. The time it takes to disconnect varies, usually from about 5 minutes to as much as 20. If I exit the game, the network will reconnect eventually, quicker if I "repair" it. The weird thing is that the problem seems to be with the router itself. I have a 360 wirelessly set up to it too, and the network dies on that at the same time.

Belkin suggested I change the channel, as well as pretty much every other setting on the damn router, but nothing works. The upstairs comp uses an INexQ USB wi-fi connector. As far as I'm aware, there are no other SSIDs in the area, and my current one is the only one in my list.

Can anyone please reply if they have any idea what could fix this?

Reply to
delirium86
Loading thread data ...

What game? What model Belkin?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

All games, from the most recent, to cobweb-strewn DOS games. One that use the internet and ones that don't.

And it's a Wireless G+ Modem Router Model No. F5D7633uk4A

Reply to
delirium86

Try changing channels again. Try 1-3, or 8-11. Try both ends of the spectrum, and see if there's any difference. If not, it's not an interference issue.

Dont 360's wireless controllers use 2.4ghz as well? That could be causing wifi troubles..

Also, check the power management settings on the PC for the wifi adaptor; default is usually "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power". That can be a huge P.I.T.A., and cause loads of reconnection headaches.

-Luke

Reply to
Luke122

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com hath wroth:

What model Belkin router? Oh... F5D7633uk4A. Got the latest firmware installed?

10ft through a wall or ceiling? What is the wall or ceiling made from? If concrete, foil backed insulation, or other metal in the walls, you will have serious signal loss.

It takes two to play a game locally. One user is apparently using an iNexQ USB (model number?) client. Latest firmware?

Where is the other user? Wireless or wired connection?

At first glance, I would suggest inteference. Yet, changing channels has not fixed the problem. There are sources of interference that will clobber all channels (i.e. Microwave oven) which is a possible cause. See the list at: |

formatting link

Very interesting but you're making too many assumptions. If both the Xbox 360 and the Belkin F5D7633uk4A do the same thing, then it could also be the USB client radio that you're using for testing. I suggest you try your client computah on yet another wireless router. If it still disconnects, it's either the iNexQ USB radio, or interference.

Incidentally, try the test going through your wall and ceiling as before. Then try it with the radio in the same room so you're not dealing with signal strength issues.

Yep. That's my method... change everything and see what happens. Please note that you'll never get support to suggest changing the product they're trying to fix. In this case, it's going to be difficult because the F5D7633 includes an ADSL modem in the same box. There are a few settings you can tweak to make this easier. Disable

802.11b compatibility. Set the wireless speed to 6Mbits/sec temporarily, not "auto". Turn off encryption temporarily. Turn off the G+ turbo (or whatever it's called) feature. If it magically starts to work, see which setting is the culprit.

Huh? Changing the SSID doesn't prevent interference problems. Just pick a unique SSID to prevent your client computer from accidentally connecting to the neighbors. Can you see any other wireless networks with your USB client radio?

I think the key is in the wall or ceiling. If your iNexQ has a signal strength and quality indicator, it would be interesting to know what numbers it offers. A low signal level, or a lousy signal to noise ratio, will cause disconnects.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've changed to every channel and there's no difference.

The 360 has been off lately, especially when I'm gaming on the PC, so I don't think it'll be the controllers.

How do I change the power options for the wifi? It doesn't appear to be in Power Options in the Control Panel.

Cheers, Del

Reply to
delirium86

Yeah, latest firmware installed.

It's wood and plaster. I'm pretty sure that's all it is. The signal is always either excellent or very good. Also, this has been happening pretty regularly, but only during gaming. I'm sure if it was a microwave or some other interference, the network would be dropping outside of gaming too.

Two to play? I'm playing single player on all of these games, as there is noone else in the house who games, and I can't play over the internet as it disconnects.

I am trying to find someone else I can borrow a router from, but I haven't had any luck yet.

Like I said, I've turn almost all the settings on and off, and had no luck so far.

The reason I included the SSID info was because another forum had asked if my computer was getting low reception on mine, and skipping to another stronger connection in the area. And no, no others show up in the area.

As I've said above, the signal is always strong, and if it was interference the network would be dropping all the time, not just immediately after starting a game. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Del

Reply to
delirium86

So much for the poor signal theory.

True, but it might be a coincidence. For example, if your game playing coincides with someones dinner preparation time.

Sorry. The only games I play are online multi-player flight simulator games. There's no way to play just by myself.

As I think I understand this, you have the Xbox 360 plugged into the Belkin wireless router and are connecting to it with your client radio running the iNexQ USB adapter. Do you have the Xbox 360 plugged in with an ethernet cable or are using wireless? There's a very small chance that if you're using wireless to the Xbox, that mutual interference to the iNexQ USB adapter is causing the disconnects. The easiest way to test this is to use an ethernet cable connection to the Xbox instead of wireless.

I once managed to "borrow" a router from a big box store based on the assumption that I could return it for credit or refund if I didn't like it. I did my testing, repackaged it carefully, and returned it for credit. I hate doing it this way, but if you tell the store exactly what you're doing, they might agree to such a loaner.

Did you turn off the ones I mentioned?

Well, if you have time to run an experiment, try running a peer-to-peer wireless network (ad-hoc) between the iNexQ USB radio and the Xbox 360. Both support it. Turn off the Belkin as you won't need it. I'm not sure what it will prove, but it seems like an interesting thing to try.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.