Adventages over Windows WZC?

Are there any performance advantages to using the vendor-supplied utilities to configure/maintain your wireless adaptor when compared to using the Windows-XP built-in Wireless Zero utility?

Netgear and Linksys, specifically. Would the vendor config be required to enable Super-G or SpeedBooster, for example?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

No difference. The client connection manager only provide a user hostile, I mean user friendly, method of configuring the wireless device. The actual performance is mostly in the hardware. (Exception: A few wireless devices do AES encryption/decryption in software).

Neither. The enable or disable of advanced wireless features are all buried in the wireless access point or wireless router configuration. If you want Super, Turbot, Hyper, or Magic features enabled, they're all in the access point. The client radios just follow along with whatever the access point offers. Some client configs allow you to disable these features for that client. Those are usually available somewhere in the client manager, advanced proporties for the network device, or buried in the registry settings.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's kinda what I figured, I just wasn't sure. I've just used WZC on the handful of clients I've set up. Most of my setups are simple bare-bones 802.11g adapters/router sand I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on any of the extensions.

Thanks. Again.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Sqwertz hath wroth:

Well, there are some "extensions" in the user client managers that are lacking in the stock XP WZC. The most complex of the bunch is Intel Proset:

which offers diagnostics, roaming persistance control, site survey, Cisco Extensions, logging, QoS, and a mess of other stuff that I actually use. It's what WZC should have been. Of course, it only works with Intel wireless cards. Some of the manufacturers client managers also do a credible job of adding useful features. However, none of these features will offer anything in the way of a performance (range or speed) improvement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.