5G network

I just purchased a Netgear dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR 3700) and it works great. But my laptop cannot see the 5G wlan. So I looked at the device manager and under network adapters I see:

a) Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet controller (NDIS 6.20) b) Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Is this nic incapable of 5g? Is it a matter of drivers or the adapter?

Thank you.

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

A cursory google suggests it's 2.4G only. I can't find a reference to it on realtek.com for some reason.

Reply to
alexd

Thank you. That is what I thought I found but because I am no expert in wlans I was not sure if I was interpreting the specs I found correctly.

Thanks for confirming. The nic came built-in in my Toshiba laptop.

So, if this is the case should I see if there is a way to turn off the router's 5.4 capability? Does it matter? Is it a security risk to leave the 5.4 broadcasting?

Thanks again and happy new year.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

and what exactly is a 5G WLAN ?

Reply to
ps56k

duh - was thinking more in the cellular world and 5G meaning 5th-generation vs the 5G meaning 5Ghz WiFi -

Reply to
ps56k

Sorry if I used the wrong terms. I am a newbie. I mean my router broadcasting in 5.4 Ghz (I think).

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry again. The router interface calls it 5.0Ghz.

Reply to
Jeff

what's your real question - speed, interference, compatibility ?

A dual band WiFi router has the capability to transmit in either/both the

2.4 and the 5.0 Ghz freqs. The 802.11n WiFi protocol is what actually defines the "speed" not the 2.4 vs 5.0 freq -

Your "G" used here is for Ghz or frequency - not like cellular where "G" is for "generation" which implies a speed increase - like ..... 2G vs 3G vs 4G

Reply to
ps56k

My question is the following: I have now determined that my laptop nic adapters are only 2.4 capable. That is OK with me because the download speed is excellent.

So, ---- since my laptops cannot access the 5.0Ghz -- I wonder if allowing the dual router to continue broadcasting in 5.0Ghz is not an unnecessary risk. I cannot use it but someone else might use it to break in.

I am no expert and therefore asking if that is a concern and should I disable the router's 5.0Ghz component (for security) because it is of no use to me even though it being protected by a strong WPA AES passphrase.

Forgive me if I was not clear and am using imprecise terminology. All this is new to me.

Reply to
Jeff

great. But my laptop cannot see the 5G wlan. So I looked at the device manager and under network adapters I see:

That number isn't on the wireless device list because it's a WIRED gigabit ethernet controller.

802.11b, g, and n only. It would need 802.11a to support 5.7GHz.

No.

No.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Jeff

From a security perspective, it makes no difference at all. The security is effectively identical to 2.4GHz and the broadcast range is shorter, so outside of implementation flaws in your router, there's no security advantage to turning the 5GHz band off.

However, keeping it on wastes a tiny amount of electricity, and adds a bit of noise to the 5GHz spectrum space for no benefit, so it probably makes sense to turn it off if you're not using it.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.