Simultaneous Dual Band - practical uses in a 'G' & 'N' environment

I'm trying to make an informed buying decision as we think about upgrading the current Home Network; right now there is a Linksys 'G' band router downstream from a DLS line . (2 are hardwire 10/100bT & two others via 80211g wireless with an additional single draftN unit in 'G' mode).

(Usually there are no more than three online at any given time.)

Right now I have the router locked to 'G'-only mode (no 'B' or mixed mode), and any adapters bought in the future will likely be some sort of draftN type, so what I'm wondering is:

- Are Simultaneous Dual Band routers able to avoid a bottleneck (if there is really one after all) when used with both N and G clients and hooked to a 1.5M DSL residential line? (Or, conversely, is it marketing hype and/or overkill?)

- Has practical experience shown one brand/model to shine over the others?

- Is there a great deal of performance plateaus between single radio, Dual Band, and Simultaneous Dual Band routers?

berk

Reply to
TBerk
Loading thread data ...

Even with 'G'-based systems, with respect to using the internet connection,

*typically* the bottleneck is the internet connection, and not the wireless speeds.

The wireless become the bottleneck when transferring data over the LAN, between PCs.

Reply to
DanS

as others will probably mention - if the main or only traffic is to the DSL line and the Internet.... vs any in-house data/streaming transfers -

Then a 1.5mbit DSL vs a 54mbit WiFi (G) is hardly an issue :) Heck - even a (B) at 11mbits is not an issue with a 1.5 DSL line

In fact - you might perform a speed test and see your actual download speeds...

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

It might seem stupid and obvious but actually having it spelled out like that does help.

I took a chance and ran it by the NG, Thx.

berk

Reply to
TBerk

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, TBerk chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Something else that isn't obvious to most people is that Wifi speeds don't represent an attainable throughput - IME being connected at 54Mbps equals a throughput of about 22Mbps for example, with similar percentages at other speeds. I haven't used N, but I've no reason to believe it'll be substantially different.

It's a similar story with DSL too, with various overheads meaning that IP throughput will be about 87% of your sync speed.

Reply to
alexd

Yes, it's just the PHY rate. The TCP throughput rate will be some fraction of the actual connected rate, which is some fraction (usually) of the listed or rated PHY rate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.