3.67Mbps signal 18 miles only 35 mw power - XMAX

Does anyone here know more about XMAX?

formatting link
xG Technologies pushes ahead with xMax, scores FCC approval

Posted Feb 2nd 2006 1:02PM by Paul Miller Filed under: Wireless It's been a while since we've heard anything out of xG Technology, creator of the xMax wireless standard, but it seems like they're plowing ahead with their "we don't need no stinkin' WiMax" plan for wireless technology. In their latest demo they transmitted a 3.67Mbps signal 18 miles using only 35 milliwatts of power, which sticks to their plan of keeping the power level low enough in transmissions to allow them to send over occupied frequencies. The FCC just approved the transmitter, so xG seems well on their way to providing that wireless broadband everybody's talking about these days, hopefully in the second quarter of this year. Just to show off, they also used an xMax device to transmit data 100 feet using 300 nanowatts of power, which compares to 802.11 standards which use three million times more power -- give us some of that sweet loving!

formatting link
Because of its inherent nature xMax can be interleaved among existing cable RF channels allowing operators to offer new services in an incremental fashion without the interruption of existing services. Since xMax can operate over existing network mediums, requiring only new line end-points, such new services can be added quickly?allowing operators to increase average revenue per user (ARPU) on a positive cash flow basis.

Quote: In this respect, xMax is particularly important for telecom firms that rely on wireline facilities. The higher capacity signals that xMax produces allows for much higher quality of service (QoS) levels than do current network standards. In fact, xMax is so robust that signal capacity improvements to cable networks enable the delivery of over

1,000 channels of enhanced services. In the DSL space, xMax delivers improved data-rates while increasing the reach of DSL up to an estimated 72,000 ft. from the central office. As such, xMax provides a cost- efficient avenue for voice, video, and data services into enterprise and consumer markets

formatting link
Credit Suisse to advise new wireless tech firm Thu Feb 2, 2006 4:41 AM ET

AMSTERDAM, Feb 2 (Reuters) - U.S.-based company xG Technology, which has invented a new way to achieve wireless broadband communications, said on Thursday it had appointed the London office of Credit Suisse (CSGN.VX: Quote, Profile, Research) as its strategic adviser.

"Recognizing that this opportunity is not U.S.-centric, we chose Credit Suisse because they exercise global reach for their clients," Chief Executive Rick Mooers said in a statement.

"They recognized the first-of-the-kind, industry changing aspects of XMAX (xG's technology)," he added.

Credit Suisse will help xG in discussions with big telecoms infrastructure vendors who are being approached to help the company boost its presence across the world.

"They may even be acquired by a company, potentially," a spokesman in London said.

New wireless technology can be a lucrative business. The inventors of another new wireless technology, a company called Flarion, which invented Flash OFDM, was bought for $600 million by CDMA cell phone innovators Qualcomm (QCOM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) in August 2005. An initial public offering of xG is not on the cards.

The company has come up with a radical new method to transmit large amounts of data over the air using very little power, which enables it to trespass on radio spectrum that is already being used, for instance by radio or TV channels, without disturbing these signals.

In the past week xG said its equipment was tested by a lab compliant with U.S. Federal Communications Commission standards.

Separately, an XMAX unit was used to transmit full motion video over a distance of 100 feet using 300 nanowatts of transmitted power. Had that same signal been transmitted with existing Wi-Fi wireless broadband technology, it could have required up to 3 million times more power, said Joe Bobier, who invented the XMAX Technology. The technology can be used to transmit and detect signals over distances of several kilometres.

Mooers said XMAX products would be ready for market by the end of the second quarter of 2006.

Reply to
johnny5
Loading thread data ...

johnny5 hath wroth:

Not me. I don't understand how it works. How single cycle wavelet modulation operates is beyond my limited abilities. Show me some formula, calcs, demos, and circuitry, and I'll understand.

Various magazines had articles with a bit more history and techy details. Note that these are all essentially press releases from the XMax/XGtechnology company:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
other than variations on the above articles, I've seen nothing in any of the other RF related publications such as:
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
the RF designers (and adopters) read about new technologies.

There's also nothing in the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Comm, which tends to have articles on breaking technologies well before the trade press. This is despite the large number of academics and PHD's on the XGTechnology staff and acting as advisors. I would have expected a theoretical analysis, possibly with peer review. Nothing.

formatting link
I'm not sure if there are any publications as the search engine is down for maintance. I'll check again later.

I'm always open to new ideas, but am very suspicious of a company that has announce earth shaking technology, but has only managed to produce

2 public demonstrations with absolutely nothing on their web pile showing the system in action or equipment that was used. Both had the press in attendence, but photos? It's certainly important to protect their patent position, but this is rediculous.

I'm suspicious, but it's too important a technology to prounounce judgement at this time.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am suspicious too - have you looked at thier patent filings? Perhaps there is something to be gleened there? The head of the company was involved in some lawsuit with some nordic investors. Something about scamming thier pension.

formatting link
Here is a page showing 4 links to thier patents. All greek to me.

Reply to
johnny5

johnny5 hath wroth:

Nope. But I will.

I'll look at those tonight. Beats watching TV. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
Meanwhile, something that's not exactly greek. On their web pile, XGTechnology shows a BER (bit error rate) to S/N ration plot.
formatting link
this is suppose to demonstrate "Performance". It doesn't. The way this graph works is that it's a measure of spectrum efficiency. Missing is QAM-??, BPSK and QPSK which are the basic modulation types for Wi-Fi. Well, BPSK is somehow mixed with CDMA, which isn't even close.

Sensitivity is measured at a fixed BER, usually 1*10^-5. If the graph is actually correct, then xMax modulation has a -0.5dB "benifit" over BSPK (my guess is BPSK-8) which makes it LESS sensitive. If Xmax reall does offer a substantial range improvement, it has to do it by improving the S/N ratio at the reference BER. Otherwise, range for BPSK and xMax will be almost identical.

Another thing I just noticed is the symbols along the curve. I've done BER vs S/N measurements like these on the bench. The data point NEVER end up exactly on the curves. To me, that means they never made the measurements. Instead, it looks almost exactly like the curves from an old Intersil Prism 1 data sheet. |

formatting link
figure 4. It's not the one I'm thinking of, but it's close. I have a printed copy from the WECA versus CUBE pissing match before the FCC when WECA (Wi-Fi) was trying to get 802.11g approved at the expense of HomeRF. The graph in this printout is almost exactly the same as the one on the XGTechnology web pile. I'll dig some more later.

Dinner on fire. More later...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

China HELEN NIKE SHOES Co., Ltd. is lied in the city which is general headquarters producing base of China of Nike Company ---Putian of Fujian . We can supply all kinds of Nike brand sports shoes (running shoes=E3=80=81basketball shoes=E3=80=81footwear shoes, etc.).The products h= ave sold well in the places,such as America, Europe,Middle East, Southest Asia,etc.Warmly welcome customers from home and abroad contact with us by phone,e-mail and on line negotiating. We'd like to establish a long term business relationship with you. The company insists that " Customer the highest, Quality first " .With high-standard quality, a satisfied delivery and service, rational price show products and cooperative will of us to you.

website-----www.offernikeshoes.com msn: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com email: snipped-for-privacy@offernikeshoes.com

Reply to
0594shoe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.