VPN connection allows telnet/ssh but sftp/ftp fails

we have setup a vpn to our customer site from our office and connect to unix servers using putty with ssh. we can also connect to the box using ssh/sftp and ftp to transfer files. while the ssh connection has no problem the file transfer mechanism has never works. in each case the connection is "reset by peer" or words to that effect. we are a bit stumped as to where the problem may lie; the customer is adament that it is on our side. any ideas about how i should go diagnosing things our end ? any tools out there that could provide some useful information ?

Reply to
strepxe
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :we have setup a vpn to our customer site from our office and connect to :unix servers using putty with ssh. we can also connect to the box using :ssh/sftp and ftp to transfer files. while the ssh connection has no :problem the file transfer mechanism has never works.

I'm a bit confused by those last two statements. I'm not sure if you are saying that you have -configured- sftp and you can start transfers over the VPN but the transfers fail; or if you are saying that you have been successful with sftp when you are not going over the VPN ?

:in each case the :connection is "reset by peer" or words to that effect. we are a bit :stumped as to where the problem may lie; the customer is adament that :it is on our side. any ideas about how i should go diagnosing things :our end ?

The available tools would depend in part on which VPN device (and software rev) you are using.

My shot in the dark would be that you are running into MTU problems. putty/ssh are not generally going to be transfering full packets (at least not in one of the two directions), but as soon as you hit sftp then it is going to want to transfer large packets.

There is an overhead to VPNs that reduces the effective link MTU; the exact amount of the overhead depends on the authentication and confidentiality parameters you choose for IPSec (e.g., AH, which ESP, whether you are using NAT-Traversal).

If both your ends have Path MTU Discovery turned on, but you are filtering out ICMP Fragmentation Needed packets from getting through, then the PMTUD is going to fail the first time it wants to send a packet bigger than the effective MTU.

This problem does not occur if Path MTU Discovery is turned off on either (or both) sides, because then the two sides will not negotiate PMTUD, thus leaving it up to the VPN to fragment the packets at need... which would be inefficient but effective [provided that you haven't configured the VPN to forbid fragmentation.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

hi, thanks for the response and suggestions. first to clarify:

- have not configured sftp, ssh, scp, ftp or telnet on server at customer site. these services are available to us.

- have made vpn connection and then initiated sftp, scp and ftp connections to copy files from the server. all have failed as indicated. second some additional information:

- problem with file transfer does not occur internal to customer organisation or when they perform a vpn connection from outside their offices in their country. think it is MTU problem and something i need to get in touch with our ISP about. will keep you informed as regards what i find out. thanks for the assistance. g

Reply to
strepxe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.