SMTP Server unreachable through VPN

Hi all,

I have a question about a VPN tunnel.

I can build a tunnel from my notebook (which has a Greenbow VPN Client installed) to my Zywall 5 at home. When I enter the local IP-address of the Zywall, I can web-administrate it. So far so good.

But when I send e-mails, my SMTP server is unreachable. If I use the SMTP-server of the network I'm connected to at that moment (the neighbours' wireless), the e-mail sends immediately.

It is as if all traffic goes over the VPN, exept for my outgoing e-mail.

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks in advance, kind regards,

Jeroen Kuivenhoven

Poeldijk, The Netherlands.

Reply to
Jeroen Kuivenhoven
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like your VPN is not sending all traffic through the remote router. You are doing what is called a split tunnel. Only traffic destined for the remote routers local subnet is going over the VPN and everything else is going directly over the local internet connection unencrypted. So if you were doing this as a form of security on a hostile network like an open wi-fi then you are likely transmitting everything you wanted to be secure in to the clear.

If the remote network subnet in your IPSEC configuration is not 0.0.0.0 (aka Send all traffic to remote VPN server) then you have a split tunnel.

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

"Jeroen Kuivenhoven" schreef in bericht news:db0ad$470e789e$d594e1bb$ snipped-for-privacy@news.concepts.nl...

All traffic IS going into the VPN, so effectively you "lost" your direct connection to the internet. So the SMTP server is not accessable via the VPN connection.

The are 2 possible solutions:

- stop using the VPN as your default gateway, use direct internet This only works when you only need access via VPN to services that are located within the same subnet of the VPN connection. All internet traffic will use your direct connection.

- add a static route on your computer to the internet SMTP server The SMTP traffic will not be using the VPN anymore. Everything else still uses the VPN, because it remains the default gateway.

Frank

Reply to
FD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.