VOIP Recommendations coupled with business DSL or business cable (Comcast)?

Hi,

I am considering some sort of VOIP setup for a small office and a remote (ie, home) office. At the "office" location with the main servers, etc., I have a choice of Comcast Business Standard service (up to 7mbits down, up

768kbits up) or DSL. On the DSL, however, because of distance from the CO, I am limited to the basic 1.5mbits down and 256kbits up. I want to setup a VOIP arrangement that tied in Asterisks (in part to learn about it and what it can do in practice) and some termination point with some service provider. Likewise, it would be nice to be able to have a remote extension to either (or both? - my ignorance here) the asterisks server and/or the service provider, such that when the line rings, it would ring at the main site and at the home office. I was looking at Asterisks@Home for starters (or whatever the new name is). But, what I have to decide quickly is on the ISP. I know with VOIP, bandwidth is king. Note too, that from the office, I will have email in and out, some web hosting, some remore desktop sessions, etc, GOING OUT on the office internet connection. So, is it better to do the Comcast cable or the regular DSL?

Along these lines, any recommendations on VOIP providers would be helpful. On the VOIP providers, I have heard so many different things, that I really could use some input. SunRocket is cheap, and I know someone who is trying it, but I hear their customer service it the pits. I know there are others too. Are there some more friendly to an Asterisks config than others? I also realize that these VOIP providers provide much (if not all) that Asterisks can provide, but again, I am hoping to take this opportunity to get a grip on Asterisks and what all it can do.

And, fwiw, I know about the need for QoS on the router/gateway device is a key part of this as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Reply to
mjb
Loading thread data ...

How many concurrent phone calls do you expect on average?

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

just one to two except during conferencing maybe. I suspect that DSL is OK under these circumstances, I just hate to run into when it is not (kinda like that Amex commercial when the guy is over his limit on his non-Amex credit card at his first big business dinner). :-)

Reply to
mjb

I would agree with you on that small number of calls. However, if the cost difference isn't too great, I would go with the cable connection.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Some decent providers...

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(newish)

As far as your Asterisk setup, you can interlink two boxes. However, in such a small environment, I'm not sure I would go to the trouble. You can connect to the 'office' Asterisk box from your home office just as easily as you can from inside the office (well, almost). You'll just need to configure it and your firewall/router properly.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.