VoIP "provisioning"

Can someone explain to me what this term means. Provisioning generally means setting aside resources for or assigning resources to a particular device. But what resources are being assigned during VoIP provisioning? I mean, how would it differ from simply setting up the device for use on the Internet (assigning an IP address, recording a MAC address, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Actor123
Loading thread data ...

Provisioning can be done at a distance, but I think the main point is that it is done from a server. For example, the Digium IAXy usually gets its config from the asterisk server and this includes

its local ip address and mask or dhcp the asterisk server ip address (important because IAXy does not do DNS) stuff like codecs, debug on/off, etc

Many SIP phones use provisioning by ftp or tftp. This is a pain if you have one phone but the only way to go if you have 500. Basically, this is the point of provisioning, auto configuring a bunch of phones.

Reply to
BlueRinse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.