Skype to New Zealand

I have been trying to talk to my daughter in New Zealand using video Skype beta 2.0.0.63, under Win XP Home. I am on broadband in the UK, but unfortunately she is still on 56 kbps dialup.

The connection starts off well -- excellent picture and acceptable audio

-- but after a few seconds the audio starts to break up badly, and my daughter sounds as if she is overdosing on a mixture of mogadon and helium!

Then, after about 30 seconds, the connection automatically terminates.

This is repeated every time we connect.

I assume that Skype is automatically terminating the connection because the audio is broken up so badly. (I don't have any problems talking to other people overseas, but they are all on broadband).

Is there anything in Skype we can twiddle to improve things? Connection timeout? Codec?

Reply to
news
Loading thread data ...

news laid this down on his screen :

Voice alone will consume virtually all(if not all) the dial-up bandwidth & you're sending video as well?

Reply to
Jono

I'm not sure about Skype, But Google Talk is very good at keeping quailty as good as can be, changing codecs when needed itself.

Does not do Video though.. Very good voice :)

Reply to
Sean

If you are not too worried about the video, why not just ring her on her normal land line with Voipstunt

formatting link

Me

Reply to
Me

Why try to achieve something the program clearly states isn't possible?

You can lead a horse to water etc.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Me writes

We already use VoIP extensively for all our voice calls. No problem there.

But we also want to give our grandchildren the opportunity to see their grandparents as well (and the other way round, of course :-))

Reply to
news

In message , Nick writes

Saying that something "isn't possible" is the sign of a closed mind. Where would mankind be today if we stopped trying to do things because they were deemed "impossible"?

In any case, where does it say that it isn't possible?

>
Reply to
news

I don't know how well it'll work with a dialup connection, but you could try Kapanga, a SIP client that also does video:

formatting link
or FWD, that does video too:
formatting link

Reply to
paul123

In message , paul123 writes

Very useful. Thank you.

Reply to
news

The bandwidth of dialup is perfectly adequate for voice.

It is balefully inadequate for video. Even ISDN gives very poor results and there you get 64kbps both ways rather than the 3240kbps typical on dial up.

Trying to do both is going beyond the limits of physics - Shannon's Law see:

formatting link
of course if they get broadband or even ISDN2 (and aggregate the channels) then you might just get a serviceable channel - choose a low resolution image in black and white.

BTW it always amazes me that people whose children move to the far side of the world never realise that there is an underlying reason... So don't expect an upgrade at their end soon.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.