seeking optipoint sip help

i have set port forwarding, nat, firewall rules, anything else i can think of and i can still only make outgoing calls. If i remove all the programming, i can still make outgoing calls! (i guess i have a stateful firewall) I dont know what else to try. At least i can make outgoing calls, though. It must be doing something right to be able to do that. I contacted voipfone, and they say that they cant even see my phone as logged in. I may eventually get a HandyTone-486 or similar, but if theissue is with my router I may still have problems. Maybe i should eventually get a sip-enabled router.

Reply to
Rob Walford
Loading thread data ...

for ref, heres my f/w rules:

dir source dest srce port dest port pro tcp fl action any 0.0.0.0/32 192.168.1.8/32 1024-65535 1024-65535 UDP None Allow any 192.168.1.8/32 0.0.0.0/32 1024-65535 1024-65535 UDP None Allow

heres my NAT entries:

Local Address Local Port Public Address Public Port Protocol

192.168.1.8 1024-65535 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1024-65535 UDP
Reply to
Rob Walford

BTW, even with my firewall disabled, i cant receive incoming calls.

Reply to
Rob Walford

I am afraid I am not at all familiar with the way your router works and am still trying to find out how mine works! (It's all a rather steep learning curve!

I presume the public IP address in the NAT table is your IP address.

Not sure of the 0.0.0.0/32 in your previous post, the phone should certainly communicate using the ports you have forwarded.

I also think rather than a firewall issue it is a problem with NAT traversal (the phone not supporting stun or similar protocol) I wonder is there a way you can put a destination address (i.e. IP of Voipfone) in the settings (not even sure by mentioning this if its even possible or desirable!)

Is it possible to see the active NAT sessions (my router is able to show a real time table of active sessions) that way its possible to see a little of what's going on.

I wonder if there may be some diagnostic software to sniff at the SIP packets, not sure but think I have seen something that is able to look at these mentioned in relation to SIP.

I rather like the look of the intertex range of routers, they have very good SIP support but rather expensive! I would guess the phone should work properly behind one of those; trouble is costs can easily runaway with the various options available!

It seems the preferred ATA is the sipura range, I have seen a linksys ATA around £ 45 on broadbandstuff.co.uk (I believe this is similar to the sipura). The only trouble I found using an ATA was with echo on the called parties end, this was very dependent on the phone being used. I don't mind slight echo at my end (although a bit disconcerting) but wanted the phone on the other end to sound as good as possible.

I have now settled for the snom 360 and find this is an excellent phone but as with all this VOIP through the Internet it is not without its latency and QOS issues at times.

If the firmware was upgraded then I am sure they could easily add the features needed to make it work properly! The American version has a higher version number, but I have failed to find a means of downloading it.

Any one out there have any thoughts of how the firmware can be obtained, I have tried emailing Siemens without response?

John

Reply to
RJHN *1JOD
0.0.0.0/32 should mean "any ip address" on my router. i am currently in email communication with voicefone. he asked me to try nat.voicefone.co.uk:5065 as the outbound proxy, but he obp domain entry in the optipoint would not take it. i have made one call, and was certainly impressed by the quality. It seems odd that you can receive incoming and i cant, thats why i think its a router/firewall/nat issue somewhere. i'll let you know if i get anywhere with voicefone support. i asked about disabling the voicemail, as to test i have to call and it costs me every time, but that option is coming soon apparently. I d/l the handytone 486 user guide. What i like about it is that you can select to dial voip or landline, although it has a built in router with NAT etc and i am not sure how it would sit behind my existing router. i'll have a look at the sipura as well.
Reply to
Rob Walford

I think the OBP setting port number is internally set; I have no idea what it is. The phone is very restrictive of what settings you can make, i.e. setting the obp to a specific port number, etc. If only it was possible to get hold of the later American firmware for it! John

Reply to
RJHN *1JOD

Disabling the firewall may still leave the NAT issues to be tackled.

What happens if you disconnect the IP phone and use an Xten or other softphone?

And what if you use another service provider such as FWD? At

formatting link
you may find a step-by-step guide, including detailed configuration instructions for the X-Lite. Once the X-Lite works with FWD, you may assume that your router has been tamed, and have the hardware IP phone work with FWD. Finally, have the IP phone work with your provider of choice. Divide and rule! :-)

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

x-lite has always worked fine with sipgate, but i didn't set it up. Sipgate automatically installs x-lite with all the correct settings. I suppose that means that the issue should lie with the phone, but its slightly frustrating if John managed to get it working.

Reply to
Rob Walford

Just a quick update. I have also tried the phone with a linksys hs200 router and it seems to work ok. I certainly think it is a NAT problem with your router. If I think of any thing else I will let you know. John

Reply to
RJHN *1JOD

Could someone maybe help me with my Optipoint 420 in the UK with the Provider Sipgate ? I am running the latest SIp Software (4.1.29) on it and I cannot manage to configure it for my Provider..

I have attached 2 Screenshots :-)

[image:
formatting link
[image:
formatting link
Reply to
pt-1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.