How can I determine the cause of dropped Vonage calls?

Recently, I've been experiencing dropped calls and I would like to pinpoint the cause so that I can correct the problem.

My calls are either dropped or become half-duplex (can only hear one party). My broadband provider is Comcast and I've been using the service for a year. Recently, the main cable was replaced and the service worked fine immediately after that.

I'm running a ping monitor to determine if there's a network related problem but I don't think that the ping will necessarily tell me much because I don't (yet) know the IP address that my Vonage router is talking to. A ping message is also small in comparison to the voice traffic - so it is probably a poor measure of sustained throughput.

My configuration is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100? modem connected to a Linksys RT31P2 router. My home network is downstream from the RT31P2 router and there is usually minimal traffic there.

Other things I have checked:

The cable modem has good signal strength. Data traffic seems ok - web browsing, etc. Ping monitor doesn't show anything obvious when pinging google.com

I may use ethereal to determine the IP address that the router is talking to and run my ping test to there.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Chris cjtwantstoknow

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.