Help: H.248/MGCP protocol vs SIP for SS7 interworking

Hi, I am trying to explain something to myself so I'd appreciate someone shed some light on this ... Suppose we have softswitch (SS) with media gateway (MG) and signalling gateway (SG). I.e call is coming from PSTN and ISUP IAM message is coming via signalling link to SG. Inside that ISUP message there is CIC (Circuit Identification Code) saying which channel will be used on specific E1 link for voice/media. If signalling gateway has M3UA implemented, ISUP message is extracted and sent to SS (MGC - Media Gateway Controller). Now MGC needs to control/activate that specific channel inside E1 links on media gateway. Af far as I can see only master/slave voip protocols like MGCP/H.248 can implement this, i.e. control specific channel on specific port (i.e. channel 21 on second E1). It couldn't be done via SIP ? Or it could ? My point is, if everything is goind sip way, why is MGCP/Megaco still heavily used for controlling media gateways (when interconnecting with SS7 networks).

thanks, jmiklo

Reply to
jmiklo
Loading thread data ...

SIP is for VoIP - for VoIP calls it is still a necessity to have an interface between that and the PSTN systems. This is where MGCP comes in. Ultimately I would say it is a vendor decision to incorporate some form of gateway interface into their system or not. I believe NuEra's soft switch system has the ability to breakout into the PSTN network, and the obvious big players have incorporated this functionality (Ericsson Cisco (CCM V5 for SIp) etc) but other pure SIP systems cannot and rely on others for their breakout capability.

It is a good point and something I had previously been ignorant of! Typical you work with this stuff all the time and ignore the obvious things.

Reply to
happy.lepy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.