Blocking voip at the router level

Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Loading thread data ...

Sneaky nerd type people you mean :)

What is this modern technology you speak of, this IAX-D? If someone had an off the shelf Vonage or Callvantage box, would this be easy for them to configure?

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

I guess you could create an ACL to deny SIP traffic. Without SIP you won't be able to get call setup messages through the router. You may also want to include H.323 as well.

-----Original Message----- From: Henry Cabot Henhouse III [mailto:sooper snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] Posted At: Monday, August 08, 2005 4:13 PM Posted To: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip Conversation: Blocking voip at the router level Subject: Blocking voip at the router level

Do most of the commercial voip providers, Vonage, Callvantage, etc. use the same ports? I'd like to block voip traffic at our Cisco 26xx router and was wondering if there was an easy way to do it...

Thanks Dave

Reply to
abomb

Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

Reply to
Paul

It's IAX, not IAX-D. The ":D" was a smiley.

IAX is a prtocol used for VOIP, like SIP. The major difference between it and SIP is that both the control and data go on the same udp port, and the software demultiplexes the call data and control data.

GIYF. ;-)

formatting link

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

Well that would require an Asterisk PBX. I suppose in that case you would also need to block SCCP (for Cisco Phones) and Unistim (for Nortel Phones).

I guess you could simply block RTP. Then phones may ring but no actual voice will be sent or received. That always makes for confused users :)

-----Original Message----- From: Paul [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.nizon.ca] Posted At: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:42 PM Posted To: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip Conversation: Blocking voip at the router level Subject: Re: Blocking voip at the router level

Then us sneaky people can use IAX :D

Reply to
abomb

Just block the RTP stream.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.