Any VoIP phone will work with any VoIP software (skype, Gizmo, VoipBuster,etc)

Hi, i was considering getting a handset to use with skype (with skype for the time being) but with all the new services and competition (yahoo comes to mind) i forsee myself trying out other services. So, does anyone know if most of these phones (or VoIP adapters for regular phones) will work with most of the VoIP software? (Just for clarification, i am not talking about the voip carriers like vonage, sunrocket, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Reply to
gaikokujinkyofusho
Loading thread data ...

The Yealink USB-P1K handset (sometimes badged as Waitec or Yamamoto) works on a few different SIP softphones as well as Skype

formatting link
I've one plugged into the kids machine for use with X-lite and it seems OK.

Reply to
themgt

If you're simply talking about a handset to plug into the audio card of your computer, you can be pretty sure, that they will work with any software. If you want a proper standalone IP telephone, most are likely to work with any provider (which provides you with username and password for terminal configuration) except Skype, which is using their own proprietary protocol for call setup.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.