Roaming operator selection cellular networks

Hi, I would like to know how the roaming operator selection works in cellular based networks, does my (hoome) operator provide me with a list of roaming operators. First of all, how the network recognition works, is it based on a string that is broadcasted by the basestations i.e., how does my mobile recognize that there is a base station of my operator. When away from my operators coverage area, how does it recognize which networks have roaming agreements with my home operator. Is it something thats done more by the base station than by my mobile phone (e.g., it could be that my cell broadcasts saying 'i belong to this operator, anyone there')

Can someone point me to the formal document(s) that specify this

Regards, greenhorn.

Reply to
Greenhorn
Loading thread data ...

I can tell you how GSM networks do it. If you roam into an area not covered by your home network your handset looks for networks that your network operator has made a "roaming agreement." If the network(s) that are found allow you to register you can use them (because your home carrier has made a roaming agreement with the carrier that you are visiting.) If no roaming agreement is present you cannot use that network and only can make emergency (911/112) calls.

It's likely that the handset sees what's broadcast and will try to log onto a network (usually the strongest if there are more than one permitted network.) If you are not allowed to roam onto any networks you'll either get a "no service" message on your handset or on Nokia you just won't see any operator name indicating that there's no useable service that you can use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Joseph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.