Proper installation of an equalizer amplifier on a dry pair/ Western Electric KS-20159-L2 Equalizer Amp

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with a Western Electric KS-20159-L2 Equalizer Amplifier and knows how to connect it, or at least can give me some general information on putting audio down dry pairs? We are a college radio station and use dry pairs sometimes to send audio back to our studio for remote broadcasts. Unfortunately, our setup had very muddy-sounding audio (almost no high end) and after testing, its frequency response was anything but flat. I've been assured by our telecom people that the dry pair itself is unconditioned. The equalizing amplifier installed was a Western Electric KS-20159-L2. My first question is should this unit be installed at the transmitting or receiving end. When I found it, it was installed at the transmitting end, but I've been told that's incorrect.

Unfortunately, during troubleshooting, I made the mistake of disconnecting the Equalizer Amp to substitute another one in (that ended up not working at all!) and when I went to reconnect the Western Electric one, discovered that none of the ~20 screw terminals on it are labeled! Can anyone provide a manual/tell me what wires go to what terminals? Any other dry pair advice?

Thank you, Eric Kotz Engineering Director WITR Radio

Reply to
newsgroups
Loading thread data ...

Hi Eric...

I've pretty much struck out trying to find an installation "BSP" for that amplifier based on it's "KS" number. Who knows where all those old books go?

Do you have to replace that same unit with a like unit? Or could you subsitute another product? If so, visit M.W. Persons

formatting link
- they seem to specialize in "stuff" for the radio broadcast industry. Or look around at Tellabs
formatting link
or Westell
formatting link
Bear in mind, the days of analog transmission facilities are back there in the past somewhere, but some old heads may still be lurking with just the info you need!

Good Luck!

Reply to
Al Gillis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.