Mystery of silent telephone calls - can anyone explain?

I was referred here I have been told that the experts who may be able to answer this question exist here. Here is my question:

During two recent thunderstorms I received what I thought were crank silent calls. I am connected to a BT line and was able to trace the telephone number to a friend's telephone. My friend said they had not rung me and also checked their telephone bill to see if any calls were made to my telephone at the times the silent calls were made but found no record of the calls being made. Can anyone explain this?

Reply to
Mabon Dane
Loading thread data ...

Please explain how you were "able to trace the... number" so that we can come up with a non-supernatural explanation to the phenomenon!

Reply to
David Quinton

snipped-for-privacy@h2001.net (Mabon Dane) posted on that vast internet thingie:

As I am sure you are aware, the inventor of the telephone has passed so there is no way to ask him. We are all now just dealing with phone problems "on our own" as best we can.

Does your friend have children?

Steve at SELLCOM

Reply to
SELLCOM Tech support

British Telecom has a facility called "1471" which records the telephone number of the last caller and the time they rang. I received in total three "silent" calls at a time when I was at home and answered. As soon as I put the phone down I dialed "1471" to retrieve the details of the telephone number that rang me.

Mabon

Reply to
Mabon Dane

Ah, similar to North America's *69.

One question though: does 1471 give you a timestamp on when that last call it recorded was made? It could well be that the call it is recording was an actual legitimate call made to you by your friend, rather than the "phantom" calls you're getting.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

No it doesn't.

My thoughts too!

Reply to
David Quinton

I have checked with my friend several times and they say they made no calls to me. They have even checked their phone bill and no calls were made to me at the times I have recorded as them making them. It looks like this will remain a mystery. Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Reply to
Mabon Dane

Firstly can I say, like most posters of technical questions you are quite skilled at leaving out important information and being vague, not everyone is a mind reader you know.

May I just deconstruct your post. " I am connected to a BT line and was able to trace the telephone number to a friend's telephone" Oh you traced the call not dialed 1471 then? Huge difference. If you traced it to your friends telephone then that is where it came from. If you dialed 1471 thats a high probablity.

"I have checked with my friend several times and they say they made no calls to me." What the f*ck is that meant to prove? and please don't respond with some trite s**te like "I trust my friend". (lol).

"They have even checked their phone bill and no calls were made to me at the times I have recorded as them making them."

THEY? THEY? have YOU checked it?

"It looks like this will remain a mystery. Thanks for the feedback from everyone."

You have not said that you personally have checked the bill (which might not record *ALL* calls anyway).

The chances that you recived several such calls from the same number due to some sort of electronic are billions to one.

The chances that your 'friend' is either a liar, an idiot or just plain incompetent are aproximately 1 in 1.

And as it was *recently* have they even received the f****ng bill the calls are not on????????????????????????????????????

Pardon my Frencch.

Reply to
half_pint

After I re-read this post, I suspect that the calls you got may have been voltage generated by the thunderstorm. Thus the results of the tracing that you did would have nothing to do with the call ringing because they did not come from the phone company, they came from the storm.

just a possibility.

cp

Reply to
Charles

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.