Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Extensions to pay phones? [Telecom]
At an old-phone show today, someone had a sign tellings callers of a pay phone to listen first before depositing money; this was to ensure the line wasn't in use. Years ago, it was common for a small...

Verizon strike [telecom]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. It shows how much the world has changed. Today, Vz's unionized employees represent only a small part of its workforce, and everything today is highly...

London Rioters' Unrequited Love For BlackBerry [telecom]
London Rioters' Unrequited Love For BlackBerry BY NIDHI SUBBARAMAN Aug 8, 2011 Rioters in North London have been using BlackBerry Messagess to rally, presuming RIM's phone-to-phone, encrypted messages...

"splicing" into a fiber optic trunk [telecom]
Anyone familiar with, or can point to, a "how to" in regards to splicing (term used loosely) into a telecom fiber line? It's a legit purpose... We've got an actual _alternative_, as in second option,...

AT&T to revoke unlimited data plans from some users [telecom]
AT&T To Revoke Unlimited Data Plans From Jailbreaking iPhone Tetherers By Casey Johnston August 5, 2011 AT&T will begin revoking unlimited data plans from customers who jailbreak their iPhones to use...

AT&T increases voice mail security
AT&T increases voice mail security Password meant to deter hackers By Hiawatha Bray Globe Staff / August 6, 2011 AT&T Inc. is changing the default method by which cellular customers check their voice...

Hospital reports a possible data loss [telecom]
Hospital reports a possible data loss Doctor misplaced drive that had held patient records By Liz Kowalczyk Globe Staff / August 6, 2011 A doctor who works at Brigham and Women's and Faulkner...

APPLE-SA-2011-07-25-1 iOS 4.3.5 Software Update
APPLE-SA-2011-07-25-1 iOS 4.3.5 Software Update iOS 4.3.5 Software Update is now available and addresses the following: Data Security Available for: iOS 3.0 through 4.3.4 for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4...

APPLE-SA-2011-07-25-2 iOS 4.2.10 Software Update for iPhone
APPLE-SA-2011-07-25-2 iOS 4.2.10 Software Update for iPhone iOS 4.2.10 Software Update for iPhone is now available and addresses the following: Data Security Available for: iOS 4.2.5 through 4.2.9 for...

Revealed: Operation Shady RAT [telecom]
Revealed: Operation Shady RAT Dmitri Alperovitch, VP Threat Research McAfee An investigation of targeted intrusions into 70+ global companies, governments and non-profit organizations during the last...

Security Holes Found in Siemens Control Systems [telecom]
Hard-Coded Password and Other Security Holes Found in Siemens Control Systems By Kim Zette August 3, 2011 LAS VEGAS - A security researcher has uncovered a slew of vulnerabilities in Siemens...

Text error sends Scottish exam results a day early [telecom]
Text error sends Scottish exam results a day early Exam officials launch investigation after 30,000 students in Scotland who opted to get grades by text were sent them early Severin Carrell and...

OT: Has anyone heard from Pat? How is he doing? [telecom]
The subject says it all. I don't remember reading anything about him recently.

I'm looking for a job [telecom]
I'm looking for a job, and would appreciate the readers' help. I just finished a gig in Florida, and I like the weather a lot, but I'll go where the work is: if you know any company (*especially*...

Re: Wider-range cordless phones? [Telecom]
No, you really DO want one in there, for several very good safety reasons. For openers, it's a Bolt Hole or Safe Room - what other room in the house universally locks the door(s) from the inside? Yes,...