Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Smartphone malware threats on the rise [telecom]
CBS News reported that "a report from the computer security company McAfee finds that threats to your smartphone are on the rise and will reach a record high by the end of this year. According to the...

Canada has its own FISA. But this is a good one... [telecom]
It's an anti-spam measure. And it's got the mainsleaze spammers worried... (the hardcore crooks will ignore it, of course, but this should free up resources to go after them, too) ------- [retailing...

$2.5 Million fine for Oregon Blogger [telecom]
Crystal Cox, Oregon Blogger, Isn't a Journalist, Concludes U.S. Court - Imposes $2.5 Million Judgement on Her Oregon, Bloggers Are Journalists in Washington State, [and] Do Qualify for Legal...

Broadband choices in Europe [telecom]
I've just seen a video at the link below: I recommend it for a good introduction to what is /possible/ vs. what is /happening/ here in the U.S. Horne

Re: MSNBC/NYT: Caller ID Forging [telecom]
I don't have copies any more, but I am very sure the Telcordia (Bellcore, back then when I worked with them) interworking standards for Q.931 to SS7-ISUP, as well as the various Generic Requirements...

Re: OSHA: Two Federal DOT Agencies Ban Hand-Held Phone Use [telecom]
Do these rules also apply to CB use, which is mostly truckers now? Wes Leatherock Occupational Health & Safety is the industry-leading news magazine, eNewsletter, and website for occupational health...

I'm looking for #5XB training manuals [telecom]
Thanks for reading this. I'm writing a brief talk about #5XB, and would appreciate pointers to traning materials. An overview document would be ideal, but I'll take anything. TIA. Bill

Skype flaw reveals users' location, file-downloading habits [telecom]
Skype flaw reveals users' location, file-downloading habits A team of researchers has uncovered an issue that imperils Skype users' privacy by putting their location and identity up for grabs By Joan...

The Digest has recovered from an outage [telecom]
To the readers, The Digest has just recovered from an outage that affected both Usenet and Mailing List subscribers. Since there were dozens of messages backup up, I have issued three digests today....

FCC removes report on AT&T/T-Mobile merger - Looking for original [telecom]
- forwarding over as the original discussion is semi-public, and he's asking for help in finding an original, unredacted, copy. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:29:17...

Video shows alarming capabilities of mobile tracking software [telecom]
Carrier IQ Video Shows Alarming Capabilities Of Mobile Tracking Software Devin Coldewey You may be aware of the growing controversy surrounding Carrier IQ, a piece of software found pre-installed on...

Red hot, smoking iPhone self-combusts on airliner [telecom]
Pics in the URL. hot, smoking iPhone self-combusts on airliner November 29, 2011 - 1:03PM Ben Grubb An Apple iPhone 4 was glowing red hot and emitted a "significant amount" of dense smoke as it...

Intercarrier Compensation and the Universal Service Fund [telecom]
The FCC has released a 759-page Report and Order on Intercarrier Compensation and the Universal Service Fund. Much of which is a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, meaning that close to half of...

P.S. on Mobile Informational Call Act [telecom]
Here is a blog from a banker's collection agency that is for the bill. They say if a consumer gives someone their cell phone number-- say an airline--the airline would not be allowed to call it to...

Pending legislation would allow robot calls to cell phones [telecom]
This bill apparently will allow sales calls to go to cell phones. As a low use cell phone user who still pays a la carte usage charges, I am naturally very upset at this proposal. Further, I don't...