Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?
I do have call waiting. Are you saying that if I have call waiting then I have two lines, therefore if I got a 2-line phone I would be able to use both lines at the same time? Still confused ......

Re: ADSL and SDSL?
ADSL has, and I guess SDSL has it too, a difference between 'the possible speed of the phone line' and 'the speed the *dsl provider programs on it'. For example, my phone line has the following:...

Report DNC Violation?
How does one report a violation of the do not call list? Got a call at 5:50 this evening from "Health Insurance Services" that was not only a telemarketer, but it was a recording to boot. "Hi, this is...

Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers
Some North American GSM phones also do 900 or 1800 for people who travel to Europe. My wife's Moto V220 does 1800. My old Moto Timeport did 1900/900/1800 until I ran it through the washing machine.

Re: Telemarketing?
"Marlboro" ended up saying they were looking for somebody else with my aunt's name. So "Marlboro" knew what it was about. If the first call were on the level I would have expected the caller to name...

Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'
I suggest checking out a recent slashdot discussion on the subject. is a victim of their own default configuration. Vonage by defaulting too using NO compression, has eliminated the efficiencies one...

Mobile Phone Virus Found in United States
By Spencer Swartz SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The world's first mobile phone virus "in the wild" has spread to the United States from its birthplace in the Philippines eight months ago, a security...

Newspaper Chains Pay Up for Web Companies
By Martha Graybow NEW YORK (Reuters) - Newspaper publishers, often seen as stodgy and slow-growing, will pay whatever it takes to grab a bigger piece of the fast-growing online advertising market --...

At Least 700 Have Identities Stolen
When word first emerged this week that still unknown scammers had illegally obtained detailed dossiers on 35,000 people by posing as legitimate customers of ChoicePoint, the company portrayed it as a...

Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers
North American GSM phones cannot do GSM 1800 only GSM "850" or GSM 1900. GSM 1800 is a Euro-Asian frequency. And before anyone gets upset GSM 800 is the same thing as GSM 850. For some reason unknown...

Re: A Silly Question - 2-Line Phone With One Phone Number?
Boat posted on that vast internet thingie: A lot of people have multiple lines but only one advertised number by using call rollover from the phone co. The other lines will have phone numbers but they...

Re: Verizon Plans to Offer Naked DSL on 4/5 of Wirelines
I was in error, as I admitted to Fred Goldstein in another posting. And I am not an employee of or attorney for Bell Atlantic or Verizon. I do some work for Verizon Wireless on wireless issues. I had...

Telemarketing?
Yesterday an unknown woman phoned my aunt's house and asked to have her call a toll-free number about her order. When my aunt called, the greeting was "Marlboro Company." The woman asked my aunt her...

Re: Powell Rips FCC Delay on Connection Fee Reform
I must have had a brain fart. You are right, of course. The FCC adopted the scheme advocated by the ILECs, who thought that they would be terminating all the calls and would collect more than they...

Dave Barry Books on Audiobook Format
Hey guys, just something I thought you'd want to know about -- you can listen to Dave Barry's books -- all of them -- on audio book through a rental site called I've been using for quite a while now,...