Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Your Cell Phone Is a Spy! [telecom]
By Judge Herbert B. Dixon Jr. (Ret.) Tracking and surveillance are no longer the stuff of old espionage movies - the little black box covertly hidden underneath a car, a bug placed in a room, or an...

History GTE/AE Microwave/carrier [telecom]
I recently found some ads by General Telephone/Automatic Electric on their carrier/microwave offerings. These ran in the Saturday Evening post circa 1960. General Telephone (later General Telephone &...

How CenturyLink Internet Outage Impacted Advertising, Ecommerce [telecom]
by Laurie Sullivan A CenturyLink/Level 3 outage Sunday triggered a massive internet outage and slow response times for websites across dozens of companies, from Bed Bath & Beyond to services such as...

CenturyLink's 7-Hour Outage Hamstrings Amazon, Hulu, PlayStation & Others [telecom]
After partial outages in the past couple of weeks, a CenturyLink IP misconfiguration wreaked havoc across the global network and knocked out multiple providers, including Cloudflare, Amazon, Reddit,...

CenturyLink/Level 3 Outage: A Botched Response to a DDoS Attack? [telecom]
By - Ed Targett, Editor "It may have been that... the significant load that large number of BGP updates imposed on their routers made it difficult for them to login to their own interfaces" A major...

'IP outage' on CenturyLink network caused by Flowspec mitigation, says Cloudflare CEO [telecom]
Websites lost connectivity because of BGP feature By Tanwen Dawn-Hiscox An IP outage in a CenturyLink data center on Sunday (August 30, 2020) brought Cloudflare servers down, affecting a number of...

[telecom] DC looking for another area code
(sorry about the late notice. I only just saw the alert) [DC Public Service Commission] DCPSC seeks public comment in 202 area code plan The Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia has...

CenturyLink outage led to a 3.5% drop in global web traffic [telecom]
CenturyLink incident takes down Cloudflare, Reddit, Hulu, AWS, Blizzard, Steam, Xbox Live, Discord, and dozens more. By Catalin Cimpanu US internet service provider CenturyLink has suffered a major...

Here we go again: streaming media is under attack [telecom]
I Have Seen This Before Copyright (C) 2020 E. William Horne. All Rights Reserved. Here in the mountains of western North Carolina, there is no over-the-air TV within range, and I'm retired and living...

Landlines set to be removed from dorm rooms at M.I.T. [telecom]
According to a statement released by the Division of Student Life, ... landline telephones will be removed from all on-campus dorm bedrooms by the end of summer. According to a statement released by...

NBA Partner AT&T is No Friend of Black Lives Matter [telecom]
NBA Partner AT&T is No Friend of Black Lives Matter Through donations to police foundations and partnerships with law enforcement groups, AT&T helps the police further militarize and execute the War...

Verizon store manager arrested for stealing customer's explicit videos [telecom]
by: Jessica Ayers OKALOOSA COUNTY, Fla. (WMBB) - A Florida man has been arrested for stealing explicit videos and photos from multiple smartphones. OKALOOSA COUNTY, Fla. (WMBB) — A Florida man has...

Verizon Still Working on Phone Issues in Parts of St. Clair [telecom]
Verizon is still working on phone issues as a result of a fire in St. Clair this week. On the afternoon of Wednesday, August 26th, 2020, a fire on West Patterson Street in Saint Clair destroyed a...

The Weather Undergrond [telecom]
I've been preparing for the oncoming Hurri^h^h^h^h^h Trop^h^h^h^h Thund^h^h^h^h rain since yesterday morning, after hearing and reading predictions of all the bad things which were going to happen...

LA: Storm damage causes landline issues in South Highland and Queensborough
By Nancy Cook SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) - Some AT&T landline customers have lost the ability to make phone calls outside of the South Highlands and Queensborough Central Offices in what appears to...