With Verizon on the Horizon, iPhone Users Weigh Leaving AT&T - but there's a Catch [telecom]

With Verizon on the Horizon, iPhone Users Weigh Leaving AT&T-but There's a Catch

By ROGER CHENG OCTOBER 9, 2010

Network quality won't be the only issue for iPhone buyers trying to decide between AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless when the smartphone becomes available to a second U.S. carrier. The technology behind their high-speed networks matters, too.

The cellular network of AT&T, the current iPhone provider, runs on a standard called UMTS. Verizon's uses something called CDMA, and that will make a difference in how the phones work.

Most notably, Verizon customers aren't able to surf the Web or exchange email while they're talking on their phone. That sort of on-the-go multitasking-which AT&T and iPhone maker Apple Inc. have touted in advertising-might seem a little much to many people, but it's often what iPhone users are signing up for.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I've had no problem using my Droid's browser during a phone call (on Verizon).

Reply to
Steve Kostecke

This one has me confused. I've heard and read:

A. VZW decided not to allow voice and data simultaneously to protect their network. B. It's a limitation of the technology.

I tend not to believe A since, IIRC, voice and data operate on different frequencies.

You're not the first VZW customer I've heard from who say they can talk and use data simultaneously making me think it is a technology limitation, but a limitation that is being slowly rolled away as VZW upgrades their infrastructure.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

What I've read on paper, and over the net, seems to point to voice and *LTE data* being mutually exclusive (i.e., B applies there), while voice and

*lower-tech* data are perfectly compatible (i.e., customers *can* talk and use data simultaneously -- just not LTE data).

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

-- Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

Reply to
tlvp

For me it's a case of...

1. Ever changing technology
  2. Half the stuff I read isn't true
  3. My brain is full and just can't process anything new :-)

Not being a VZW customer I really don't have a clue what their network can and can't do. So this is all I'm going to say about it. :-)

John

Reply to
John Mayson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.