Verizon building causing power outages in Lynbrook LI [telecom]

By Michael Smollins

Many business owners near Merrick Road in Lynbrook have complained about power outages in the area that were caused by the Verizon services communication building on Washington Avenue.

"It's disruptive to business," said Jeffrey Greenfield, a partner at the NGL Insurance Group at 112 Merrick Road, of the outages. "We're in the customer service business. Our computers went down, our phones went down. It takes time to get reestablished, so virtually every time it goes down it puts us out of business."

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

The article is from a newspaper and is rather vague as to the cause. It seems strange that a customer could do something to the electric grid and foul up other customers.

The power company seems to blame Verizon, but maybe it is really their fault? I'm not sure Long Island has a very good power company. They used to have LILCO which had problems.

As a computer user, when I get an intermittent power outage at home--which are too frequent--it is disruptive to me. At work it was a real pain.

But in the reality of today's heavy dependence on electronics (computers and other devices), I wonder if commercial users should have some UPS protection against the intermittent disruptions and surges. They would also provide for an orderly shutdown in case the outage is more than brief.

Sadly, these days, many home owners are buying rather expensive backup generators for their entire home due to frequent and extended power outages. In my opinion, it is ridiculous that people have to do this (and people who live in apartments are screwed). We really need to take a hard look at the electric utility situation and improve its low reliability.

In my opinion, recent efforts at 'deregulation' or other power reforms only made things worse for ordinary consumers.

Telephone note: I am bombarded at home with calls from alternative energy suppliers. Many of these calls are clearly fraudulent scams.

Reply to
HAncock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.