Power, phones out in Ottawa Thursday after powerline falls [telecom]

By Bryan Reynolds

OTTAWA - Four AEP Ohio vehicles and seven employees converged at the intersection of Williamstown Road and Oak Street a bit before 1 p.m. Thursday to fix a downed power line which caused a power outage and CenturyLink phone service outage in the village.

Brad Brubaker, 9-1-1 coordinator for the Putnam County Sheriff's Office, said they noticed the power was out for their business and company phone lines at around 12:20 p.m. The sheriff's office never lost power to the building but the power was down to the CenturyLink phone service, and 9-1-1 dispatch, for a couple of hours, he said. CenturyLink rerouted the sheriff's office 9-1-1 calls to a cellphone in the dispatcher office, Brubaker said.

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...
[Contents of newspaper article that was posted by the Digest's editor omitted...]

One thing I would like to request of the editor, and indeed of any contributors who submit local media reports that refer to events in specific areas which are identified solely by a city, town, county, [or other name], is that you add more geographic context to the subject line if it is not completely clear where that place is. For example, when I saw the subject line "Power, phones out in Ottawa..." I assumed that the incident took place in Ottawa, Ontario, a metropolis that is also Canada's capital. Only by reading the article itself and seeing a reference to the name of the power utility did I eventually discover that the story was referring to Ottawa, Ohio, a village of fewer than

5,000 people. For residents of that particular corner of Ohio reading a local publication, it may be easy to understand that just plain "Ottawa" refers to the seat of Putnam County. For the rest of the world, including probably almost all readers of the Digest, the default "Ottawa" is most likely the one in Ontario. For that reason, a subject line of "Power, phones out in Ottawa (Ohio) Thursday after power line falls" would have been much more helpful.

Thanks,

Bob Goudreau Cary, NC

***** Moderator's Note *****

When replying to an article that you see in either the digest or at google groups, or wherever: *PLEASE* reply *TO* that article, so that the system will add appropriate header information to preserve the threading when readers open their email or news readers.

It takes as much as ten minutes to find a preceding article and paste the needed "Message-Id" info into a reply when it's not there to begin with. I appreciate your help on this.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Bob Goudreau

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.