Verizon accused of violating net neutrality rules by throttling video [telecom]

FCC has no comment on petition to investigate Verizon slowing video to 10Mbps.

By Jon Brodkin

The Federal Communications Commission should investigate whether Verizon Wireless violated net neutrality rules by throttling video applications on its mobile network, advocacy group Free Press says.

Free Press is asking people to sign a petition that will be delivered to the FCC.

"Late last week Verizon Wireless customers started to notice something suspicious: Videos from Netflix and YouTube were slow," the call for signatures says. "Verizon Wireless couldn't explain why. When reporters asked the wireless giant to comment, the company first said it was just a temporary network test with no impact on user experience. But Verizon later admitted that, temporary test or not, it was indeed 'optimizing' video streams."

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Puh-Leez, Verizon Wireless, will you please throttle any videos that come to my phone?

Even though the plan I'm on doesn't charge for overage, it does have a fixed limit before it lowers my speed to something well below whatever is needed for video. I could buy a bigger plan but I'm perfectly happy where I am. What possible use could I have for a 10 Mbps video stream to my 2 1/2" wide screen, or even the 5" screen that some other phones have? HD makes some sense for 42" and larger TV sets, though my 42" 720p set looks as sharp as any from any sane viewing distance. Higher resolution uses a LOT more capacity. Optimizing video to fit the phone is highly pro-consumer. They should make it the default with an opt-out for those who insist. These "public interest" groups have turned religious about a fake Internet that never existed, one where all packets are treated equally and yet spammers and DDoSers somehow don't clutter things. It's a way to raise money, not to improve usefulness.

Netflix is relatively smart. It adapts its video coding automatically to what it perceives as available capacity. Some other streamers don't, and in so doing crowd out other content while not delivering the high quality they pretend to be.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Lots of people these days, especially cord-cutters, are displaying their phone video on external screens like Fred's 42-inch TV.

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.