Traveler hit with huge data roaming charges [telecom]

The Phila Inqr reported about a traveler who received unexpected $20,000 charge for data roaming, and then his efforts to get credit for the charges.

For full article please see:

formatting link

[from the print edition] Tips for Data-Hungry Roamers:

--Check with your wireless carrier before leaving the United States to see if there's a plan suited to your needs.

--Describe your itinerary in detail, and double-check answers on the carrier's website. Terms change frequently and vary from country to country.

--Ask about all devices - smartphones and tablets as well as laptops.

--Disable "data roaming," if possible, on your smartphone before you leave the United States. Otherwise, it will begin downloading data as soon as you restart it.

--Consider buying or renting a prepaid device at your destination, such as a local phone, wireless modem,or data card. With an unlocked GSM phone, you may be able to purchase a substitute SIM card with a local number and predictable data rates. Most U.S. phones are locked.

--Use free WiFi at hotels, when abroad, and check e-mail or surf the Web at Internet cafes.

--Power off devices when not in use.

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff
Loading thread data ...

I've heard horror stories from people about this. My experience is the wireless companies want people to use their phones overseas and really gloss over the facts or toss out rates in $/kB that mean nothing to the average consumer. I consider myself knowledgeable about telecom issues, but was woefully ignorant about using a mobile phone overseas and found my carrier wasn't the best source of information.

I'm not sure really how to fix it. Perhaps the best way is to mandate a cap on roaming charges and require subscribers opt-out. Once a subscriber hit that dollar amount the phone would stop working and they'd get an SMS explaining what to do.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

And it may not just "overseas", here in Australia some 3G networks only really cover the capital cities and major population areas, but they have roaming agreements with other carriers that do cover other areas - but at a cost!

People have gone to an out of the way holiday destination, seen that they have data coverage and assumed that is their carrier and therefore covered by their plan - and returned to a nasty surprise when the bill arrives.

Reply to
David Clayton

That's an issue in front of the FCC in the US right now.

formatting link

Reply to
John Mayson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.