The global cashless movement meets its foe: Local government [telecom]

The global cashless movement meets its foe: Local government

More Americans are ditching paper money, but critics of cashless restaurants and shops say many people are being left behind.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

This isn't "telecom" at first glance, but there are two things that worry me about this story:

1. It doesn't make sense: there's a something missing that I can't figure out. Local governments don't act the way that this story implies, at least in my experience.

1. "Smart" phones are being drafted to substitute for credit cards, and those portable computers are unavailable to most of the homeless, to many lower-income families, and to undocumented person afraid of being tracked. That's being given as the reason for local government's concern - but it doesn't make sense. I've never known a small businessman who wouldn't prefer cash over EFT, and local store owners know their Councilman's home phone number.

It doesn't pass the smell test.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

NY and NJ are probably fairly different from where you are. The both have a lot of consumer protection laws.

No, that's a side issue. Every Apple/Google/Samsung Pay acount is tied to a credit or debit card and in my experience that means a physical plastic card. The issue here is unbanked people who don't have a card, physical or virtual, just cash.

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.