The dance of the bees [Telecom]

The dance of the bees

By Perry Glasser | April 24, 2008 The Boston Globe

TWO OF my students appeared at my college office door just as I was leaving to meet them. In the hurry of ordinary business, I had been ambiguous as to when and where we'd chat. But a third student, their classmate, was missing. "Where's Steph?" I asked.

Chelsea and Samantha shrugged.

I found Stephanie downstairs waiting at a classroom seminar table. I explained my mix-up. She dropped her cellphone into her pocketbook. "I was expecting a call from Sam or Chel," she said.

I wondered, Why had I walked?

My reflexes no longer fit the times. My students assume constant electronic proximity. They call; I schlep. Like the dance of the bees, they share a hive mentality, the reflexive, instinctive, communication of everything about everybody to everyone at every moment.

Is the ubiquity of cellphones and the Internet fundamentally changing a generation's sense of self? Those of us older than 40 worry about privacy: My Millennial Gen students entering their 20s have little appreciation for that concept. Identities blurring at the edges, they have become a great "us."

The hive mentality is not only ordinary adolescent conformity - it's a corporate necessity. The electronic network flatters every yuppie wannabe with the same delusional lie: You are the hub of a great, ever-changing network. The heavens may wheel, but we remain fixed at the center. What mid-level exec dares vacation without a Blackberry? Suppose the home office reached a decision while you were beyond reach? Suppose a crucial e-mail was sent while you foolishly wasted time with your kids, sat in the sun, or read a book? People need lives, but business requires productivity.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Business may require productivity, but unless it's provided by robots, a competent manager will know that humans require downtime in order to remain productive. The children who grew up with cellphones glued to their ears will soon discover that the ultimate and most hard-won privilege is the right to be left alone.

Of course, there's a larger issue: quantity and quality are always on opposite ends of the communications see-saw, and the new generation that mistakes the elevation of quantity for the power of quality will inevitably find that it's a short trip down and a very sudden stop when the guy who concentrated on quality steps off to visit his corner office.

When I first joines New England Telephone, memos from top executives were typed on special versions of the IBM Selectric, by specially trained secretaries, and thus had justified margins and a slightly different font.

Just before I left, twenty-five years later, a top executive circulated a memo on some minor matter, but it was the talk of the office: it was written in longhand.

The hive mentality may require junior workers to be constantly "in touch", but those of us who've been around the block a few times know that the _content_ of a message is more important than it's buzz.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

When I was growing up my generation was addicted to the plain telephone. My parents simply could not understand why we rushed to the phone upon coming home after school to call our friends we had just seen. Some lucky kids got an extension phone in their room (instead of using the kitchen phone for all to hear), and a few wealthy kids got their own line. As time went on the Bell System pushed second lines for kids and offered package deals. It became common for suburban families to have multiple lines in the household.

Certainly it is mysterious to me why today's youth are addicted to their cell phones and texting, but then my generation wasn't any different.

We were also addicted to television, another thing my parents couldn't understand. For us, TV was always there, it was a big novelty to them. Likewise, for kids the cell phone was always there while to me it remains a novelty. For my parents' generation, they considered themselves lucky if they had a phone, and if they did, it was message rate party line, not to be used for trivial things.

I am far from an expert on youth, but it seems to me today's kids live in a much more structured organized world than our generation. They don't have any 'downtime', their day is scheduled tightly. After school there are organized school activities which are a must for college acceptance, then organized sports activities on top of that. The soccer field by me is booked solid until 10 pm. Many kids have jobs. Because so many parents work, kids have house chores when they get home. (Of course the situation varies from kid to kid.)

As to privacy, again I think it's what people are used to. My generation was taught that privacy was important and good behavior included respecting the privacy of others. When I worked in a hospital as a kid we were told that medical situations were strictly private and never to be discussed. Banking records were to be private. Today it's different--all sorts of parties have an "interest" in one's personal records and a right of access. Some owners freely share the records to marketers. We did not have metal dectors, locker searches, CCTV, or drug sniffing dogs in high school as they do now.

We would read "1984" and wonder if it would come to pass with 'telescreens' watching over us; we knew technology was increasing to the point where it might be practical some day. Well, it seems everywhere I go there are cameras watching my every move "for my protection". I wonder if it's really 'my' protection, or if I'm actually the one under suspicion. I [didn't]] know the muncipal swimming pool went to ID cards with a machine readable bar code and CCTV cameras, but it makes me uncomfortable.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Today's kids aren't more organized: far from it. They are simply overstimulated, which is bad enough, but the stimuli are coming from profit-making corporations intent on turning them into unstoppable, greedy, 24x7 consumers who want whatever their peers wanted yesterday. Their cell phones and televisions and Internet connections have poisoned their youth with a constant barrage of advertising messages has left their untrained minds with the idea that they have to be buying something or wearing something or smelling something in order to be popular or accepted or unafraid.

It's rough being young in a consumer-oriented society, and that friction is made even harder to bear by spineless parents who don't have the backbone to tell their children "Just drink water" like my mother told me, or "Go get a paper route" like my dad told me, or "if you graduate with honors" like my grandfather told me, everytime I bleated my need for Coca-Cola or a new bicycle or the perfect summer job.

Frankly, I think the next generation is going to grow up very angry at their parents. We let them down by not standing up.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
hancock4

I have to disagree with that. A kid growing up in the 1960s and 1970s watched a heck of a lot of TV and was innundated with targeted advertising. For example, I submit kids from that era ate an unhealthy diet of processed sugar-loaded foods compared to fresh fruits and veggies of their parents' day.

Kids faced a barage of advertising, only the medium was different. Back then parents saw TV as "safe", that is, the shows were carefully censored by the networks to be G-rated, so parents did not oversee them. The commercials were heavy handed. Kids also saw ads in the newspaper and magazines, including kids' magazines, on billboards, car cards, teen radio, etc. Remember back then cigarette ads were allowed. Remember too we had to watch the whole show and didn't have a VCR to fast-forward through the commercials.

Geez, I remember to this day "PF Flyer" sneakers let you "run faster and jump higher". Also ads "be the first on your block to own the . . ." were popular. The baby boomers had money as kids and companies wanted it.

I don't recall Bell System TV ads targeted just to kids, but the Bell System certainly advertised on TV "Long Distance the next best thing to being there" as well as extensively in print. They also pushed extension phones and the premium Princess phone. When installers and repairmen would go to a house they'd bring in extra premium sets just to show to the household and perhaps pick up a sale. As mentioned, having an extension in your own room or better still your own line was a big status symbol (and convenience) in those years. I don't recall how much they advertised it, but around 1970 they had package deals for second lines.

Parents in my day faced pressure from us watching TV commercials and wanting this or that toy, clothes, or junk food. In junior high we had tremendous peer pressure to be stylish and wear premium brands of clothes, and this was well before Jordache, Sasoon, etc. (An expensive brand called Villager was 'in'). Geez, kids fought with school administrators over the length of skirts and their parents over bikinis; no different than today. [Ironically, pictures of boys' shorts of the 1960s look too tight and skimpy by today's styles.]

A problem parents have today is that many kids have part-time jobs and plenty of their own money. When I was a kid jobs were scarce, and I think that was because there was not as many retail chains as today and today's stores are open much longer hours than old mom 'n pop stores.

Reply to
hancock4

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:58:19 -0400, hancock4 wrote: ........

In Australia, the exorbitant cost of housing in the cities has made owning a home out of reach for most under 30 years of age, there is a growing "Resentment Bomb" that may one day explode as these kids see all the wealth firstly hoarded and then spent by the older generations.

Add in the the degeneration of the planet that the younger ones will inherit (and hopefully clean up), and there is certainly trouble brewing......

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.